Technology can not overcome ignorance

Jimmy Mac

Saturday afternoon I was in the gunshop. This was opening day of our muzzleloading deer season.

The hour I was there at least 4 guys came in ranting and raving about their new inline muzzleloaders. They all had misfires and lost a shot at a nice deer.

Their problem was that technology can not overcome ignorance.

They thought they could hunt with a dirty gun loaded with Pryodex.

It does not work that way.

You hunt with a clean dry gun loaded with blackpowder and it will fire no matter if it is a flinter or an inline.

These inlines are supposed to be so easy to clean you would think these morons could clean them before the hunt.

Now these rifles are back on the dealers rack still dirty and some are still loaded.

They were sold back to the dealer for about one third of what they paid for them.

Last edited:
There really is not that much to learn to make sure the rifle fires that important first shot.

Just use a clean rifle.

Powder fouling attracts moisture and after a period of time the nipple channel will become cloged with the moisture filled powder residue.

The rifle will slow fire or missfire.

Even my flinter will always fire that first shot.

DUH!

My son-in-laws father did the same thing again last Saturday!!

4 nice bucks in 2 years and "click" no boom!

I finally had to pull his load, I got tired of shoving powder up the flash hole, it was full of oil.

I can keep my gun loaded a week and it will still fire (I cap and decap as needed) .

A piece of tape over the bore and nipple, when un- capped and don't take the gun in and out of doors, so it won't "sweat".

In bad weather I wrap the action with Saran wrap and have never had a fail to fire in over 20 years.

Back