Tech questions - skeletonized bolts (Scout related)

Jack 99

Lately I've been checking out bolt-action rifles at gun stores (I don't have a lot of previous bolt-action experience). I ultimately want a Scout-type rifle and I'm not sure that the Steyr is the most cost-effective solution.

Anyway, during my little gun shop tour I've been considering what the Ultimate Scout would include. I think the bipod is a nice touch, but not required, especially if it adds weight. I was also thinking the stock could probably be skeletonized.

Then it dawned on me that you could also probably skeletonize a bolt and shave a good 1/4 pound.

Is this a nutty idea? Has someone already done it? Any sources for lightened/skeletonized bolts? How about skeletonized stocks that will withstand field conditions? How about fluted barrel sources?

Just as an aside, I've been comparing the quality of various manufacturers and I'm pretty unimpressed with Remington. I look for little details like tool marks, fit and finish and "workability" of the bolt. I used to be impressed with the Remington reputation, but now I think they're over-rated. Savage, on the other hand, seems under-rated. Sakos are also nicely done.

Any experiences with various manufacturers appreciated, especially in regards to building a custom rifle.

If you want to go straight up custom gun, you can have just about anything you want...

However, if you are like most of us mortals and have to function within a limited discretionary budget, you might end up locating a factory rifle and then modifying it to suit your needs.

I strongly suggest taking a look at two factory rifles- the Winchester Classic Compact- a 20" light contour barrel on a controlled round feed short action mated to a wooden stock with a shorter length of pull like the Scouts. A sub-choice in this category is the Classic Featherweight...

Second, and don't laugh, is the Remington 700 Synthetic Youth- a 20" barrelled short action complete with iron sights in a shorter length of pull stock. The name is stupid and hence you can get a short action Remington for less than 400 bucks.

Although your weight reducing ideas are valid, they might not be cost effective. If you want to spend that much to get the lightest rifle you can, consider something like the Colt Lightweight Sporter...

I have never seen a skellaonized bolt, but you can flute both barrels and bolts to reduce weight yet maximize strenght/weight ratios.
You can also skellatonize magazine wells, hollow out bolt knobs & make lightening cuts on recievers in less critical places.
All this tends to be expensive custom work for someone who knows what he is doing.

I built my scout off of a #5 Mk1 Jungle Carbine. (WW2 Enfield) The work was done by Ashley Outdoors and it is a peach! The action already incorporates most of these weight saving features as part of it's original design. I do not, however have a fluted barrel.

I have been getting 1moa out of this gun very consistantly when using Greek surplus ball ammo. Today I shot my best group ever with this rifle. .72" at 100 yds. from the bench using HXP71 surplus ball! The entire package cost me around $750.

Ashley Outdoors ( www.ashleyoutdoors.com ) makes scout kits for mausers and will soon be making them for Enfields. This is a very cost efective option and as you can see, it can produce some pretty amazing results.

Back