Teaching the gf to shoot.

cobra246

Inactive
Ok so i have been shooting for 4 years and got my dad into shooting as well. But teaching dad was super easy because he is really good with his hands and has the strength and size to comfortibly handle heavy recoil. My girlfriend on the other hand has never even held a gun before and is "fun sized" if you will. She wants to learn how to shoot. Im kind of at a loss as to where do i start.

Most of my guns are heavy hitters, a couple 12ga shottys, a couple of .45s, a .44 cap and ball, a 20" AR, and a 9mm competition pistol. Not really a beginner friendly selection.

Any tips? Ideas?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Everyone needs a decent 22. Get a Ruger 10/22 and have fun. Don't be like the fool I saw a couple years ago. On the 50' pistol range (public - state park), he had his girl heft a Mosin-Nagant. She could hardly hold it. Put it on her bicep and, after considerable waving about, fired a shot 5' high. I was about to call the range officer, but that was it for her. They left. Bet she never shot again. Unless she was a fool, that would be their last date. (I know, they never learn, do they.) Shoot at something that reacts, spinner targets or good 'ole pop cans. Paper is kind of boring to newbies. Don't forget the safety lecture and demo. Good luck!

Two sperate issues, one being teaching someone to shoot, two being teaching a gf/wife/fiance etc....anything. First off get her something that not going to be punishing to a small framed person, a nice 22 pistol perhaps, then work up to a nine. Have someone else teach her, buy her a lesson to a ladies only firearms class. Make it fun!

Everyone needs a decent 22.

Indeed.

A new shooter needs one to learn fundamentals while not being beaten up by noise and recoil. Many of us have seen the moron at the range who puts a 44 magnum in his girlfriend's hands to show her she can't handle his manly weapons. That guy teaches her to hate shooting.

Experienced shooters need a .22 for practice. The cost of practice isn't trivial. Before I had children, I fired between 500 and 1,000 rounds a week, each and every week, mostly through a biathlon rifle. For a 22lr, that was a $10 or $20 cost. For a 45acp that would be $100 to $200.

Every frequent shooter needs a 22lr to avoid poverty.

If you want to show her how to use a handgun, I strongly suggest a .22 revolver. The manual of arms is simpler than with a semi-auto. With a beginner, this means more rounds downrange, and less time fussing with magazines, safeties, slide releases, and so forth.

Based on the outcome of several outings teaching newbies how to shoot, my S&W Model 18 usually has more rounds fired through it than everything else I bring, combined.

Do your homework and start with the fundamentals. Focus on gun safety and proper handling (e.g. the 10 rules - https://www.remington.com/support/safety-center/ten-commandments-firearm-safety )

You already have good advice about using a 22lr for first lessons.

Some Do's:
  • Be attentive to what she tells you regarding her comfort level - don't push.
  • Be attentive to proper safety (including eye and ear protection)
  • Be ready to answer "why" questions about safety, firearm operation.
  • Brush up on techniques: grip, sight picture, focus, breathing, stance, awareness
  • Be calm and no-nonsense; don't give the impression that anything about shooting is a joke to you

Some don'ts:
  • Do not play any pranks (like give her a heavy recoiling firearm without warning)
  • Do not plan on doing any shooting yourself. Dedicate the session to her learning.

OPC, that is excellent. I just want to highlight one of your points from my experience.

OPC said:
Dedicate the session to her learning.

...and prepare her with an ammo free session before hand. (A 22lr that is safe to dryfire is also nice to have for this session). She will forget most of it, but it lets you set the pattern for immediate, direct and unambiguous responses for the range.

She will need your full attention. She will violate at least one safety rule. Muzzle disciple isn't a normal reaction to holding an object, and she won't have it etched into her subconscious yet.

Remain close to her, so that when she inevitably violates a rule (or encounters a function issue - also a dangerous situation) you can be there to maintain safety. You can issue a correction without being accusatory, e.g. "When you turn to me, you still want the imaginary line from the barrel to point at the backstop" or "When you aren't firing, put your index finger here every time". She will be less nervous and absorb more if she feels supported and attended to than if she senses this is a test to determine her compliance, so messages like "that's a big mistake" or "that'll get you kicked off the range" should be scrubbed from your lexicon for that initial session.

Doing all that takes patience and focus.

How about a Hunter Ed. Class ???

Any tips? Ideas?
As an intro, might want to sign her up for a Hunter Ed. Safety class that has a live-fire say as part of the program. It's all free and your investment is the time and perhaps lunch money. We take all students, regardless of age or experience. We even offer an "All women's class". Might add that they make excellent students. :)

Be Safe !!!

As an intro, might want to sign her up for a Hunter Ed. Safety class that has a live-fire say as part of the program. It's all free and your investment is the time and perhaps lunch money. We take all students, regardless of age or experience. We even offer an "All women's class". Might add that they make excellent students. :)

Be Safe !!!
Thats a good idea! I'll definitly look for one near me. As for the .22 revolver im guessing a single action would be OK?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Do your homework and start with the fundamentals. Focus on gun safety and proper handling (e.g. the 10 rules - https://www.remington.com/support/safety-center/ten-commandments-firearm-safety )

You already have good advice about using a 22lr for first lessons.

Some Do's:
  • Be attentive to what she tells you regarding her comfort level - don't push.
  • Be attentive to proper safety (including eye and ear protection)
  • Be ready to answer "why" questions about safety, firearm operation.
  • Brush up on techniques: grip, sight picture, focus, breathing, stance, awareness
  • Be calm and no-nonsense; don't give the impression that anything about shooting is a joke to you

Some don'ts:
  • Do not play any pranks (like give her a heavy recoiling firearm without warning)
  • Do not plan on doing any shooting yourself. Dedicate the session to her learning.
Good list OPC.
you left one very important "Don't" off:

[*] Never P-O a girlfriend (or anyone else) you've taught to shoot.

And excellent advice on the .22 ligonierbill.

My tip is make it safe, fun, and end it before they are tired and ready to quit. Reactive targets are very helpful. Almost all novice shooters enjoy the immediate feedback vice paper punching.

A few hours on firearms safety. Basic three rules. Demonstrate how to pivot and keep the firearm pointed downrange. Throw in the 4th rule: know your target and beyond.

Review ammunition. Types, why it is important that cartridge is correct for the firearm, the two methods of ID ammunition (headstamp, box) and that it corresponds with markings on the barrel.

Go over firearm safety with handgun (revolver, pistol), rifle (bolt, semi, lever, pump), shotgun (pump, bolt, semi, break open).

Go over firearms handling. How to operate the firearms you will be taking to the range. This would include shooting stances.

After she is familiarized with them and knows safety, only then go to the range. She should be confident and competent with them before she goes to the range. Please don't do that stupid thing of 10 ga Magnum on a newbie. All you do is turn the person off from shooting for the rest of their life.

My dad, as did his, taught all of us kids are rather young ages

MOM never participated and until I had a family reunion with one day shooting she had never fired any weapon

Dad started us all out on 22 LR pistols and rifles and a family 20 Gage pump Stevens

On the day of the shoot, Mom came with us (78 years old) but was just planning to play the "let me git you a snack" old lady game

I had one target with a condom full of sand dangling...no body was hitting it

Mom though funny... I handed her my Lite Ruger 22/45 Ready to go..and told her how to align the front and rear sight

Wow! Her fist shot ever blew a hole in the condom and sand trickled out...she giggle like a little school girl and put 5 more shots into the bad guy Target

My Brother is pist... has to go often on weekends and take my now 80 YO mom to the range with her own 22/45

I'll outline how our group of instructors teach beginners, and that might give you some ideas.

I'm with a group of instructors putting on a monthly Basic Handgun class (originally it was an NRA Basic Handgun class -- our class hasn't changed but the NRA class has). We're older guys, most of us retired or close to it. We've all done a fair bit of shooting and training -- multiple classes at Gunsite, classes with a number of instructors like Massad Ayoob or Louis Awerbuck, USPSA or IDPA competition, NRA instructor certifications, and three are POST certified. Our training group is organized as a 501(c)(3) corporation. We're all volunteers, and none of use receive any compensation (except the company buys us dinner after the class where we do a debriefing). Our class fees are set to just cover our expenses and operating costs. We supply everything -- guns, ammunition, eye and ear protection, a book on California gun laws, etc.

Probably 80% to 90% of our students had never touched a real gun before. Our class enrollment runs roughly 30% female. We have students of all ages from early 20s to folks 70+. We've had entire families attend together.

Most of our student show varying levels of anxiety at handling real guns. We try to address this by bringing them through the course material in a step-by-step, measured and supportive way. We limit class size to 10 students, and will have at least five or six instructors at each class. The class runs about ten hours, but we try to provide adequate breaks. Periodically we discuss breaking the class up into two days; but since we often have students travel from some distance doing so might be a greater hardship.

In addition to the core lectures, the first of which is on safety, we do a lot of "hands-on" work with the students. The students handle a variety of revolvers and semi-autos under direct supervision, one-on-one, of an instructor. They use dummy rounds to load and unload the guns, dry fire and generally learn how things work and feel, and they get continual safety reinforcement.

These initial hands-on exercises help students get familiar with handling a gun and lay a foundation for safe gun handling habits. For beginners handling guns for the first time is pretty awkward. Guns feel strange in the their hands. Many are surprised by how heavy they are. They have no sense of how much or how little force is needed to operate the various "do-dads." The students begin to realize that although guns can be dangerous they can learn how to handle them safely and that safety is in their hands.

In preparation for live fire we put on a lecture and demonstration about how to actually shoot (grip, stance, sight alignment, trigger press, surprise break, focus on the front sight, and eye dominance). I usually do this one, and I like to use an airsoft gun fitted with a Crimson Trace laser grip to illustrate a controlled trigger press compared with jerking the trigger. We then work one-on-one with students on grip and stance using "blue" inert training guns.

Before going to live fire with .22s, the students shoot airsoft (the quality type) in the classroom so they can get a feel for sight alignment and trigger control (and reset) without the noise and intimidation factor (for beginners) of firing real ammunition.

After the students fire 25 rounds of .22 (working one-on-one with an instructor), we put out a variety of guns from 9mm to .44 Magnum so the students can get the experience of firing (a few rounds) the larger calibers. Shooting the centerfire guns is at each student's option. Most fire them all, but some choose not to.

During the live fire exercises it's not uncommon for a student to shoot 2 to 3 inch groups at seven yards with even the heavy calibers. A few months ago, a petite young woman who had never fired any type of gun before out shot everyone, including her husband, with the .44 Magnum -- putting three rounds into about an inch at 7 yards.

Going through our process most students shed a good deal of their initial anxiety. Some remain anxious to a degree but still manage to master their anxiety and perform well. In the last several years only one or two (out of perhaps a couple of hundred) could not complete the class.

Some time ago got an email from a student. She is a very petite Asian woman who is a PhD candidate in statistics at Stanford. She wrote:
Dear BayProfs,

Just wanted to say I had a great time at the Basic Pistol class this weekend. The class was very thoughtfully organized; it was very helpful to progress from watching the instructors, to doing the hands-on practice, to doing the real deal. I really appreciate how patient you all were in answering our questions and giving us feedback. So thanks a lot! I will try to send some of my friends your way, assuming I can convince them not to be scared of guns....

I am Range Safety Officer for a private club that allows its members to bring guests. Frequently, our members bring guests who have never shot before, and give them their first introduction to firearms. While observing these sessions, I have seen a lot of good training, and also some less good stuff.

Based on my experience, I have written a couple of articles with advice for people bringing new shooters to the range. These articles are long, but there is really a lot to cover when it comes to getting new shooters off to a safe and positive start.

The articles are available on my blog.

Bringing New Shooters to the Range

Making a Lesson Plan for New Shooters

I have taught several new shooters their first lesson. Before we left the house, I always began with how weapons and shells worked, gun parts, gun safety, and basic gun law.

I quizzed the student as we went. I then went over common errors and why people made those errors (loaded mag inserted with empty chamber & mag removed with loaded chamber). I would load the weapon to show how it was loaded and then unload it.

I then demonstrated how sights worked, how to stand and hold the weapon, and then allowed the student to stand and hold the weapon. I explained how their shooting stance will evolve over time to suit them.

I always emphasized safety and they'd see me clear the weapon dozens of times as we went. I coverd eye and ear protection and took it along.

Then it's off to the range. I fired the first few shots, then they get one round, under my close supervision. They got more rounds, with me right there ready to grab the barrel if needed. I have never needed.

After a time AND they had shown they are competent, I let them be and move next door to shoot a second weapon but same design and caliber and we'd do some informal competition plinking.

I have never taught with more than a .22 rifle or pistol. I have two of each just for training. Anything bigger invites flinching, pain, and a future gun hater.

Afterwards we go out to eat. None of my XGF's have used the training to come after me. :)

She can definitely shoot the 9mm for a handgun my wife is a hair over 5’ tall and barely 100 lbs and she shoots a 4” gp100 357 mag like a champ with full power rounds, and she has tendonitis and no prior handgun experience... people over rate recoil, it’s really not as bad as people think. 357’s are very manageable, a 9mm far more so. A 22lr is the best choice by far for starting but the 9mm won’t hurt her at all, especially if it’s a duty size firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...the 9mm won’t hurt her at all, especially if it’s a duty size firearm.
Depends. I had one new shooter complain that the recoil of a Beretta 92FS was severe. I couldn't understand what was going on until I realized that the size of her hands meant that to reach the trigger she was holding the gun so that the recoil was slamming the grip backstrap into her thumb "knuckle" instead of into the pocket between the thumb and index finger.

It actually broke a blood vessel in her hand leaving her with a swollen and very sore spot.

I learned a pretty good lesson that day. Just because a gun is generally considered to have very light recoil doesn't mean that it will be comfortable for every shooter to fire. It's important to understand that gun fit can make a huge difference in how recoil is felt.

Back