Teaching a PG shotgun.... Help!

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
*Sigh*

One of my more enlightened, less savvy neighbors has purchased a pistol gripped 12 ga. for his wife.

I hate these things for the very reasons he bought it. His wife is tiny. He has a mixture of slugs and buck for the gun.

Any techniques that would help me work with her on recoil management? I do plan to take them to the range (they asked). I'm also beating the drum about #8s as opposed to 00. FWIW, plan to take my HD gun and work with them on "why Giz likes stocks".........

Giz

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Any techniques that would help me work with her on recoil management? <snip> FWIW, plan to take my HD gun and work with them on "why Giz likes stocks"[/quote]

Sounds like the most important thing to say. If they absolutely must do this, I guess: step toward the target with the off-side leg, bending it so her weight is slightly forward, and index the firing hand against the hip and the offside elbow against the other hip.

Bon chance....

I think the best thing to do would be to let her fire it about once, then let her shoot a youth model 20ga. She'll point out the error of his ways to her husband :D.

bkm...

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...

Step one -- remove pistol grip.
Step two -- install proper stock.
Step three -- Fire at least 100 rounds at the range. Make sure they are target loads. She should concentrate on eliminating flinch and short-stroke. Both of these are common when a shooter is new to the shotgun. Don't tell her when you load the 9 pellet 00 load in the gun. In a tense situation, she won't even remember recoil.
Step four -- give me the guy's name, he's obviously got more money than forethought.

Great advice.

His heart is in the right place, but his knowledge is scarce. He was shocked when I mentioned the lack of spread (as compared to what he thought - too much Hollywood) and over penetration.

My personal vote is one of the 20 GA Youth Models, but I wasn't consulted..

Giz

Giz, sometimes it seems like we spend a lot of time repairing others' mistakes, doesn't it?

Had a student some time back who watched too many movies. His shotgun of choice was nickle plated,had a mag to the muzzle, and two PGs. He couldn't hit the Queen Mary sitting in the pool. Next session, he had the factory wood back on.

I'd let the little lady fire one light round from the PG travesty after firing one light round from yours. A flagon of mead says she has a standard stocked shotgun shortly thereafter...

Back