Teacher sues to carry gun in classroom.

applesanity

Teacher who wants to pack a gun goes public

MEDFORD, Ore. - The Medford school teacher suing her district for the right to bring her concealed weapon to school revealed her identity Tuesday on the Lars Larson Show on KXL 750.

Calling from a phone in Medford during her lunch break, Shirley Katz, a teacher at South Medford High School, said only a few co-workers knew she was involved in this case. She said they are supportive of her because they know about her turbulent history with an abusive soon-to-be ex-husband.

"I felt that it was imperative that I go ahead and (go public) because my school district was pressing forward in court so that it would eventually come out," Katz said. "So I felt that basically I was bullied in going ahead and coming forward."

A pro-gun rights group is funding her legal effort, and she is being represented in this lawsuit by Jim Leuenberger.

"The district has filed a motion to dismiss, and one of the issues they raised was we didn't have right to file under Jane Doe and that we had to identify her by name," Leuenberger explained.

He maintains the district's policy of not allowing concealed weapons on campus is illegal and places his client's life in danger.

Katz told Larson and his listeners that she will not back down, and feels more resolved than she ever has before.

"I would be the first to say I was never the activist type. I would have been quite happy to fly under the radar, but I was a battered wife for seven years, and it has to stop," Katz said. "I am particularly sensitive to bullying. And I won't be bullied by my ex-husband.... I'm not going to be bullied by the school district."

During the radio interview, Katz said she has the firearms training to carry a weapon safely - even in her class.

"This is something I take seriously. I practice regularly," Katz disclosed. "Our kids do need to be protected. I think it just comes down to making sure it's done responsibly."

Last month, Oregon Deputy Superintendent Ed Dennis told KATU News,"You can't guarantee when you take a gun into a classroom and onto a school, that it isn't going to fall into the wrong hands."

Dennis said Tuesday he stands by that statement.

Katz said she would have preferred to remain Jane Doe, but now, she sees this issue as a way for her to stand up for battered women.

We called the Medford School District Tuesday to ask for a response to Katz's going public, but they declined to comment and said they would resolve this issue in court.

Oh, what precedents this case can set! By the way, the 2AF the one that's helping to pay the bills.

I found the legal mumbo jumbo on the lawyer's webpage for this case.

Oh, what precedents this case can set!
Perhaps in Oregon but it is perfectly legal and within school policy for teachers and other employees to carry in schools in some other states.

Heres another article

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071008/ap_on_re_us/pistol_packing_teacher

By JEFF BARNARD, Associated Press Writer 27 minutes ago

High school English teacher Shirley Katz insists she needs to take her pistol with her to work because she fears her ex-husband could show up and try to harm her. She's also worried about a Columbine-style attack.

But Katz's district has barred teachers from bringing guns to school, so she is challenging the ban as unlawful, since Oregon is among states that allow people with a permit to carry concealed weapons into public buildings.

"This is primarily about my Second Amendment right and Oregon law and the simple fact that I know it is my right to carry that gun," said Katz, 44, sitting at the kitchen table of her home outside this city of 74,000.

"I have that (concealed weapons) permit. I refuse to let my ex-husband bully me. And I am not going to let the school board bully me, either."

In Oregon, a sheriff can grant a concealed-weapons permit to anyone whose criminal record is clean and who completes a gun-safety course.

Thirty-eight states, along with the District of Columbia, prohibit people from taking guns to school, according to the National Council of State Legislatures. But it's unclear how many offer an exemption for people holding concealed-weapons permits, since the council does not track such exceptions.

Superintendent Phil Long insists employees and students are safer without guns on campus at South Medford High School, where Katz teaches. The district plans to make that argument when the case comes before a judge on Thursday.

Katz's request appears to be rare. School security consultant Ken Trump, president of National School Safety and Security Services in Cleveland, said he has never heard of a similar case while working in 45 states.

Katz won't say whether she has ever taken her 9 mm Glock pistol to school, but she practices with it regularly and has thought about what she would do if she had to confront a gunman. She would be sure students were locked in nearby offices out of the line of fire, and she would be ready with her pistol.

"Our safety plan at our school now is that if somebody threatening comes in, you try to avoid eye contact, and do whatever they say, and that is not acceptable anymore," she said. Shootings at Virginia Tech University and the one-room Amish school in Pennsylvania, "reinforced my belief we have to take action, we can't just acquiesce as we have been taught to do."

Katz never owned a gun until she and her then-husband, commercial photographer Gerry Katz, moved to Oregon from Atlanta eight years ago and bought 20 acres on a gravel road in the foothills of the Cascade Range.

"Being out in the country, we just felt we needed to have a gun here for personal safety," she said.

In 2004, Gerry Katz, who had a concealed weapons permit, was arrested for pulling a .38-caliber revolver after a confrontation that began in a parking lot with two men whose car almost hit his.

According to the police report, he did not point the weapon at anyone. The police seized it, and the charges were later dismissed. Gerry Katz said he never went back for his gun.

Shirley Katz said she bought her own gun in 2004 after Gerry Katz grabbed her by the throat and threatened to kill her — an allegation he denies.

He argues that her desire to take her gun to school is about reopening their divorce to get exclusive custody of their 6-year-old daughter.

"She's just scamming everybody," he said. "As soon as this thing started ... I called the principal at her high school and told her ... I am not coming to your school. I am not a threat to her. I have no desire to hurt her."

Oregon had a school shooting in 1998, when student Kip Kinkel killed his parents at home, then drove to school and opened fire in the cafeteria of Thurston High School in Springfield, killing two and wounding 25 others.

Since then, the Legislature has considered barring people with concealed weapons permits from carrying guns in schools, but the bills have failed, said Dori Brattain, general counsel to the Oregon School Boards Association.

Some South Medford students say they are uncomfortable with the idea of a teacher carrying a gun, especially since they cannot bring even scissors to school.

"I totally understand she wants to protect herself," said Lauren Forderer, 16, a junior. "But I don't agree she should bring her problems around 2,000 other people."

Even if she wins, Katz said, she may not bring the gun to school.

"The whole point of carrying concealed is no one should know you're carrying," she said. "So I feel like my carrying concealed on campus now sets me up as a target."

By the way, outside of Oregon there are no legal precednts, only social ones.

WildprayapermitholderdoesntgoberserkAlaska ™

What it all boils down to is actually pretty basic. The Oregon state constitution specifically prohibits any body other than the legislature to pass ordinances,rules, policies, that exclude CCW holder from carrying except in State parks, court houses, post offices. No lee way no loop holes. If you hold a CCW then you can carry into a school, a class room, etc. What has happend is her school district has violated state law by putting that policy in place and she is challenging it. The bad part is that even if she wins it doesn't affect any other school district in the state unless it goes before the state supreme court, but if she does win it will set a precedence that the other courst will have to consider in the future.

There is a video interview of the Medford, OR teacher who seeks to be armed in school at http://www.foxnews.com.

After the main page loads, click on any of the "Top Video" selections.

The resulting window will produce the video page which nas several selections across the blue bar at the center of the window. One of these is "Shows". Click on it.

This will change the bottom of the page and will highlight the "Fox and Friends" selections. There are two selections labeled "Concealed on Campus". The one showing a kitten is mislabeled. You want the other one.

Back