Teach me about Astra Revolvers

Radny97

Just picked up a beat up Astra N-C 6 revolver for super cheap. I know next to nothing about them but the price was too good to pass up. Basically I only know that they are decent S&W clones and that they have the ring under the grip for adjusting the trigger pull weight.
What else should I know about these?
Also, if I need parts where do I look?

I, too, once read that they were S&W clones. Mine certainly looks like a K-Frame. I can confirm that my model does have a 4-position preload ring for different trigger weights.

I like mine a lot and feel it is well made. It is accurate and it has the best trigger of my collection, especially SA.

Care to post a picture of yours?

I'll post a pic soon. I bought it online so it could be pretty bad. Waiting for it to get to my FFL. Guessing I'll have a project gun. But the basics are in good order. Strong frame and forcing cone. Timing works, bore not pitted and it fires fine. So worth what I paid ($120) but guessing I'll have to give it some TLC.

If the function is fine and it is structurally sound, I think you have yourself a nice shooter.

Perhaps you can rustle up some nice wooden grips and give the outside a new finish and make it into a silk purse after all! And still have it remain a thrifty purchase.

What's the calibre, BTW? I'm not familiar with the model you described.

I'd try and find the closest S&W equivalent, see if you know someone with one and take them apart side by side. Finding original parts will be tricky IMHO.

I love my .38 Special. I am not much of a revolver guy but the price was right, it felt nice in my hand and it looks great. It also shot very well with a nice trigger. I am very happy with mine. I really like their 9-shot .22LR revolver. It is a really nice gun especially when you consider the price.

I've shot Astra 22's (Cadix?) a 38 or two and one of their 44 Magnums. While not quite up to S&W quality, Astras were pretty good revolvers. They made a real decent N frame copy in 44 Mag & 45 Colt. I believe those were equipped with a rotating mainspring seat that allowed the user to tune the trigger pull somewhat.

I'll find one of those 45 Colts eventually, at a price I will pay, and it's going to get bobbed down into an easy packing thumper.

Back