TC Scout disassembly

Kaksi

Years ago, I bought a Scout Carbine for ml hunting. Used it a couple of years and upgraded to a Black Diamond. In looking at the scout recently and reviewing the manual, I have realized that I can't separate the barrel from the receiver as shown. I know I had this difficulty years ago, but that was pre Internet.
I wasn't real concerned as I was always careful to clean the barrel/receiver with boiling water and soap, so no salts remained. It has never rusted or had any problem with corrosion. There may be some unseen rust in the junction of the receiver/barrel, but I had this same problem when it was new.

Anybody have any ideas on how to separate the two? I've tried whacking it with a plastic deadblow hammer with no success.

Thanks,
Ron Aho

Slow and easy can win this race!!!

There may be some unseen rust in the junction of the receiver/barrel, but I had this same problem when it was new.
I would never step on your toes so if I mis-speak, it is not intentional. You know that internal gasses and pressure, vent out two side-ports on the frame. Unless you did not separate the barrel from the frame after your last shoot, you now have a residue bond. I do not know you propellant or how long it has set but in any case, it's there. Slow and easy is going to win this race. The last residue/rust bond I had, I soaked in some 50/50 Acetone and Auto-transmission fluid. I got this recipe from this forum and by gobs, it works. They call is Shop-"something?? Anyway between applications, I give the barrel, a few hard wraps with a mallet. Little by little the penetrating oil with seep in and soak into the bond. Eventually, it with come loose and you can pull the barrel. Careful with the acetone and it can attach some finishes. Please let us know how you make out. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Than you for the reply, Pahoo.
I suspected there might be an issue with the build up of firing residue, but wanted to see if there might be a different concern. I'll try the penetrating oil that you recommended.

Acetone/atf works

My thanks to Pahoo for his recommendation.
I soaked the receiver/barrel in a mixture of acetone/automatic tranns fluid for a couple of days, whacked the receiver with a dead blow mallet and was able to separate the two.

I don't know whether I should be impressed with the quality of the machining which allows the receiver to be bound to the barrel by a very small amount of corrosion or appalled with the design which allows it to happen!

BTW soaking also allowed me to remove the nipple assembly, easily.

Glad it worked out !!!

Might I also suggest that on reassembly after cleaning, you apply a thin coat of anti-seize compound so that future internal corrosion does not take a hard set. I use the copper based anti-size that helps me to easily see what's going on. I'm glad that it worked out for you. ...... :)

Be Safe !!!

Back