tc hawkens

smooth1962

Inactive
looking for a 15/16 barrel for my tc 1/48 twist or slower i have a Green Mountain 1/28 twist long range hunter wanting to shoot roundball out of my .50cal thanks

You should not have a problem finding a used one. I just sold a .32, in 1:48. You did not indicate what range you want to shoot. I ask because you can download your 1:24 and shoot your patched round ball. You will find out that a round ball, can be very forgiving, but you can't push them too hard. This may not work for you but it's worth your time to try. Know that you can get one from Green Mountain and Cabelas or equal, for about $180.00. As I said, I have seen many for sale on the internet and from dealers. I shoot a non-Hawken in 1:66 and what a tack driver at 100yds. Will keep an eye out for you. Just as an afterthought, might want to talk to the folks at T.C. as they can be very accomdating. Good luck and be safe!!!

I wouldn't mind having a .54 or .58 1:66 or 1:72 barrel for my Hawken but I can't afford a new one right now.

sorry i didnt like you all information i like to shoot 50 to 75 yards or so can that 1/28 twist be downloaded for that?

You need to try loading very low powder charges and then work your way up in 5-10 grain increments to see what load works best at the distance that you are shooting at.
You can also try different patch sizes to see which one works best too.
Start with about 30 or 35 grains of powder at 50 yards and work your way up to see what powder charge shoots the best groups.
Then you can also try different diameter balls to see if they will shoot better groups.

I have successfully downloaded quite a few rifles but have to admit that I can't remember if any were 1:28. Don't see any reason why you can't. I was going to suggest you start with 40grns. but do not have a problem starting at 30-35 as arcticap suggested. Just be careful and make sure you don't get too low. Remember that you are just punching paper and not a deer. Also, if you are useing 777, it will shoot hotter than the others. To start, clean between rounds and don't worry about a fouling shot. You are just going to have to get out there and work with it. You rifle will tell you what it's doing. I personally would be interested in seeing how you made out. "Be safe".

I would hold out for a slower twist barrel, a Green Mountain with 1 in 66 ratio. Be very careful buying a used barrel as some of them have been left dirty and are ruined. A buddy of mine brought a Thompson Center Hawken for $100 and thought he was getting a steal. He had to buy a new Green Mountain Barrel because the one on it was ruined and wouldn't group.

Back