TC Encore question (newbie)

Bailey71

I’ve never owned anything TC. I am now buying a TC encore with a .260 Remington barrel on it. It’s not the pro hunter. Not really sure of the diff in those two anyway other than engraving and the hammer movement. My question is just that. What is the difference? Is one stronger/better than the other? Also on the right side of the barrel is stamped Encore Custom Shop. I need to mention that I’m buying it from a pawn shop. I did talk to the owner. He’s the second owner and pretty much all he could tell me was that it’s very accurate and he’s had no issues with it. He said he just picked up a 6.5 CMoor. He could’ve just changed the barrel but oh well. I don’t know much about thes guns but I like the fact that you can change barrels. So any info anyone can give me about the Encore I would appreciate it.

The Pro Hunter has the hammer where you can adjust the angle of the thumb tab on the hammer. The barrel might have come out of the custom shop, the gun wasn’t. It may have been a chambering that was special ordered and not a catalog caliber. Neither one is stronger or better than the other. You can buy a hammer extension for the non Pro Hunter for about ten bucks and position it to either side of the hammer if you want. The purpose is to allow room under the scope so you can get your thumb in there to cock the hammer.

^yep.

I have an Encore and really like it a lot. Have several barrels for mine and had others. I use the hammer extension mentioned above, and it works fine for me.

Thanks for the feadback guys. I would like To know how old it is. I can’t seem to find what I’m looking for when trying to figure that out w the ser #

NoSecondBest is on the right track, but let me offer you some more explanation. When you compare a Pro Hunter to a non-Pro Hunter there "can" be several differences - BUT, that isn't always a valid comparison.
1. Pro Hunters are all shipping with the afore-mentioned Swing Hammer. This used to be a big distinction until TC started shipping some non Pro Hunters also with swing hammers. You can easily convert the hammer on a standard frame to a Swing Hammer.
2. Pro Hunter rifles all ship with that fancy recoil-absorbing stock and a different forearm. Great if you need them - an added expense if you don't. Since all Encore stocks and frames are totally interchangeable you'll frequently see those stocks on regular Encore frames as owners have changed them.
3. Pro Hunter rifles generally ship with those long fluted barrels. This one gets downright "iffy". Many owners have reported bad accuracy out of those barrels due to strange harmonics. As a result, they are readily traded on the used marketplace and you'll see them on non Pro Hunter frames as well as see ones that owners have had cut down.
4. Many Pro Hunter frames come with special engraving. Something that might or might not appeal to you.

Personally, I own two "regular" frames and don't see a need to pay for a Pro Hunter version. Yea, that recoil-absorbing stock might be handy with my .35 Whelen barrel but I'm not so recoil adverse that it really bothers me. At some point I may decide to put a swing hammer on just to provide some extra glove space - but my hunting gloves aren't terribly thick anyway.

New to the Encore? Be aware of BAD (Barrel Aquisition Disease). It is endemic and comes with every Encore or Contender.

Back