TC contender reassembly issue Sear and hammer spring.

candlejackstraw

So I had some issues with my TC Contender today, G1, and took the frame down completely. I'm trying to reassemble it but For the life of me I cannot figure out how the hammer spring interacts with the sear, if the spring goes on top of the sear, or compressed behind the sear etc. Any input on this? and any suggestion if i should install the hammer first and then the sear or vice versa? Thank you.

Figured id explain why i took the contender apart. Still trying to get it figured out. Hopefully someone can help I picked up a used 3030 barrel. And after 2 shots it was obvious something was wrong. I then changed the barrel to a 44 mag and the barrel was completely stuck. I was worried the 3030 barrel and shots ruined it. Obviously there is a chamber defect or someone reamed the chamber and didn't mark the barrel. This happened with two different brands.

9e295a28a20f6986f6fdfbf2638bf476.jpg

looking at your "instant fireform" you got a shorter neck, and the case it trying to blow up to nearly diameter of the 30-30 rim. Got a .308 barrel by any chance?
PS. There's actually a 307 Winchester that would fit the description perfectly, and it has the same rim diameter as the 30-30, so a simple reaming a new chamber would be possible. How well the gun will hold up to the extra 10,000 psi is another question.

Last edited:
That had nothing to do with the frame. Your barrel is not 30/30 if it blowed out like that. Look at the diagram and see how the trigger goes together .http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...irePistols-43459/ContenderPistol-G2-42291.htm
Are you sure the 44 barrel was on the gun?
Yea it was the 3030 win barrel on it. Then I switched to the 44 mag but the 44 mag wouldn't open. We put some 3030 rounds in the chamber of the of the 3030 marked barrel and felt some wiggle room :/. Also it looks like the link is for a g2? Mine frame dates back to 1977. Did they change the hammer spring?

looking at your "instant fireform" you got a shorter neck, and the case it trying to blow up to nearly diameter of the 30-30 rim. Got a .308 barrel by any chance?
PS. There's actually a 307 Winchester that would fit the description perfectly, and it has the same rim diameter as the 30-30, so a simple reaming a new chamber would be possible. How well the gun will hold up to the extra 10,000 psi is another question.
My friend is going to take a mold of the chamber and try and figure it out. Tbh I really don't like the thought of messing around with a reamed chamber. I haven't done much research but I'm very timid with higher pressures.

Yea it was the 3030 win barrel on it. Then I switched to the 44 mag but the 44 mag wouldn't open. We put some 3030 rounds in the chamber of the of the 3030 marked barrel and felt some wiggle room :/. Also it looks like the link is for a g2? Mine frame dates back to 1977. Did they change the hammer spring?
I just have a 357 octagon barrel, the 44 and this "3030 :("

Looks like someone reamed the barrel, did you buy it new? I think the only difference was the hammer so the springs should be the same.The way the brass is blowed out it looks like the chamber is too big.

I think you will see differences in the extractors between the 30/30 and the 308, as one is rimmed and one rimless. The cut in the back of the barrel to handle the rim of the 30/30 would be a clue as well.

Back