TC Contender G1 and G2

T_PRO_Z

Hello All,

I have 2 tc contenders in the gi (blued) and the G2 (stainless). I was wondering how the customer service was holding up since they got bought by smith&wesson. I have never owned a S&W but I have heard mixed comments on their customer service.

Also, looking for other TC fans to tell me how there old G1s are holding up.

Thanks in advance:D

S&W dropped support of the G1 some time back. How long they will continue support for G2 is anyone's guess.

It's called "Progress"

I have never owned a S&W but I have heard mixed comments on their customer service.
Sadly I have to admit that I have given up on them. Historically, TC gave us great support and then little by little, that has fallen off. The last time I went to TC/Smith, was a waste of time but I have to admit, it was during the transition period. ..... ;)

Also, looking for other TC fans to tell me how there old G1s are holding up.
There is no G1 but I understand what you are asking. These are holding up just great. As in most things, there are always trade-offs and I still prefer the Contenders. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

I have 2 tc contenders in the gi (blued) and the G2 (stainless).

Just to be clear, there was never a G1, it was the Contender. There is a G2 that came out as an improved model of the Contender, but T/C never referred to the Contender as a G1.

From what I have seen, S&W has pretty much killed the Contender line. I have only seen a limited amount of Encore items for sale. I understand that there was a fire at the T/C factory which shut down production, but enough time has passed without seeing new T/C items. Makes me wonder why S&W bought T/C.

The good old day !!!

I understand that there was a fire at the T/C factory which shut down production, but enough time has passed without seeing new T/C items. Makes me wonder why S&W bought T/C.
You make some good points and even before S&W took over, T/C was using that fire excuse for as long as I can remember. Even at that, we use to get great support from T/C. Those days are over. ..... :cool:

Be Safe !!!

Makes me wonder why S&W bought T/C.

S&W bought T/C when S&W needed barrels for their i-Bolt bolt action rifle. They were trying to compete with T/C's Icon and Venture; the Contender, G1 and Encore were not an important part of the deal for S&W.

I have the G2 Carbine. It came with a horrible trigger, but after fixing that, it is one of my best rifles.

I know that TC never made a G1 but it just lets me clarify what one i am talking about and its a habit. i did call S&W just to make sure that the warranty was still holding up ant they said yes so that is always a plus.

i have had a problem with the G1 over the weekend. i put my 10" stainless barrel on the contender frame and i noticed that there was a notch starting to form underneath the barrel at the exact spot that it meets the front of the frame. this gun is fairly unused unless i go hog hunting ( i prefer the contenders trigger over the G2). so i am concerned about its lifespan.

if you have a similar experience, please let me know.

Should not have any effect.

if you have a similar experience, please let me know.
I have seen this kind of contact before but rather than showing on the barrel, it showed on the frame. It's caused by "slamming" it open too hard and not easy to avoid. I don't see any lasting effect on the barrel accuracy. I did put a couple of Layers of Alum. tape. on the frames contact area. Understand that this was on a bull-barrel Contender. Yes, I too prefer the Contender trigger over the G-2. ...... ;)

When T/C named their newest frame, G-2, they "inferred" that there was a G-1. Don't think they expected this. ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

So one of the G2's improvements was to incorporate a non-adjustable trigger, glad I have 3 old ones.

if all of the triggers on all of my (hunting) guns could be as great as the contender trigger, id have it made. I have a tac-con 3mr trigger group I am trying to trade for a 45-70 gov barrel for the g2. I need it to be stainless as well. I cannot find one anywhere though, and the people that do have them, don't want an ar trigger group lol.

Back