Taylor & Co. 1872 Open Top

M14MSgt

I took my Taylor 1872 Open Top out today for the very first time and noticed that after about 150 rounds of .38 SP through it, the loading gate became very loose, to the point that I could not cycle the cylinder to properly load it. Anyone else encounter this problem? I dissassembled it for cleaning and tightened the screw that holds the loading gate onto the frame, but it seems like Taylor & Co. would have done that as well when it was manufactured. I can't see having to apply loctite everytime I purchase a CAS pistol.

Some guns get loose screws, some don't. Put some blue loctite or clear fingernail polish on the threads and forget about it. BTW Taylor didn't make it Uberti did.

Some guns get loose screws, some don't. Put some blue loctite or clear fingernail polish on the threads and forget about it. BTW Taylor didn't make it Uberti did.

Agreed! I have some guns that I never have to bother with keeping the screws tight. Others, I have to make sure I take a screwdriver with me when I shoot it because I have to stay after them to keep from losing them in the weeds.

I have zero complaints about my Cimarron Open Top .44Colt, except the tiny period-correct sights. It was actually quite smooth out of the box and needed very little stoning. The factory spring is also acceptable. It's a beautiful sixgun with its new one-piece TruIvory grips!

Back