Tax refund, M1A or FAL? Your advice please.

LarryLove

My mom, aka my tax agent, says the Fuds are graciously giving back $1200 (which they've held all year as a no-interest loan, thanks for nothing) as a tax refund. To protest this hijacking of my hard-earned FRNs, I must spend it on evil naughty guns. I don't compete, so I'm looking for a sturdy, accurate rifle for the range, something that could take some hard use, and something I can depend on in a survival situation.

I'm a Garand man and am therefore leaning toward the M1A. Concerned with: price of rifle, price of mags. If either one of these were priced sensibly, this would be my choice. Rifle and a 10 mags would cost me about $1500, I estimate.

However, the FAL is tough to say no to. They're good, tough, proven rifles, and they're cheaper, yes? And mags are definitely cheaper. But I'm pretty unfamiliar with FALs in general, and the large number of manufacturers, inch/metric parts and mags, and weird imported parts rules turn me off. I went though the manufacturers/parts/magazines dilemma with ARs, and I'm not eager to learn all this stuff again for another weapons platform.
But a FAL plus 10 mags would cost about $900, I estimate. Is that price about right?

I know some of you have faced this same decision, please help me out. Thanks in advance for your advice and experience.

[This message has been edited by LarryLove (edited February 03, 2000).]

That's a pretty hard choice. Personally, I'd go with the SA M-1A. Beautiful rifle! As a close second, I'd go with the STG in carbine length. Maybe, come up w/ a little extra cash, and get one of each :D ;) There are up-sides to each. Fal parts and mags are abundant, but you do have to watch for the various versions, ie inch/metric, to be sure you get parts that will work. I'd go M-1A. Plus, it's legal for me here in CA, so the FAL just isn't an option... yet.
-John

Springfield M1A!!! I'd rather go with the synthetic stock. I personally don't like wood on anything. Geesh! $1500!! My area sells the Springfields for about $1100.
But either way, FN or M1A, you'll be very satisfied. Just don't lose sleep over it. :)

[This message has been edited by Spirex288 (edited February 03, 2000).]

I would go with the FAL. If you can, try to find an Argentine preban or else an STG58 kit gun built on an Imbel receiver, or possibly a DSA postban gun. Excellent accuracy, much more ergonomic and much simpler to field strip than an M1A plus the mags are four times as much for an M1A.

Simple one, go for the FAL, M1's will be around for alot longer but the evil FAL is viewed as the most respected battle rifle to date. 92 or 94 countries had it as their rifle of choice. Personally I'd get a pre-ban SAR-48 slightly used for around 1600, mom should lend you the extra $ for this noble and honorable cause. Mags are cheaper, the lines of the gun are just beautiful, ohhhh man, I've go to stop. Whew. I have owned many types of rifles but I still think the adjustable gas and simple design along w/ the design of the fals is what made it my most favorite rifle.

FAL, its just the better rifle all around in my opinion. Less muzzle climb, more ergonomic controls, better out of box accuracy and the most popular 7.62 service rifle ever. M1A is a good target rifle after a lot of work and does have a better rear sight.

If you have the cash, go for an HK-91. Really sweet guns that won't be around much longer, well, neither will the other contenders the way things are going!

FAL most definitely. I just got an Argentine, and I love it! Mags are cheap, $10-15 anywhere, parts are cheap, If you get American content kit from DSA or buy the whole rifle from DSA it will have the pistol grip configuration, which is desirable. Complete rifles from DSA go for $1400, and there is a 9 month wait, but you can get one right now from Arizona Response Systems in Phoenix AZ for $1250 incl shipping. It's built on an Imbel receiver and has the DSA parts, as well as parts from Austrian STG 58's, all of which have been refinished by the gunsmith, parts serial #'s matched to the receiver, parkerized and testfired. Contact point is T. Mark Graham, and the website is: www.arizonaresponsesystems.com
The FN is definitely the way to go; I have an M1A, which I like as well, but the accuracy of the two is the same, and the mags for the M1A are $35-55, as compared to $10-15 for the FN. Just the opinion from someone who has both the FN FAL and the M1A.
Mike

I'd say if you can get it with no paperwork, get the FAL, for the simple reason they'll be banned (IF further bans are forthcoming) before M14s.

M1A - original M14 USGI parts will be long gone way before the FAL is gone. FALs are 'dime a dozen.' Cheers, Cryoman

I bought a DSA standard SA-58, and I consistently print 3/4" groups at 102yrds with a scope. No accurizing was done to the rifle. Out-of-the-box, the FAL is more consistent than an M1A.
My FAL currently resides in the trunk of my cruiser with six magazines of Hornady 110gr TAP Urban and four mags of PMP ball.
I've never had a failure out of several thousand rounds, and I am comfortable trusting my life to it, although it does tend to scare the hell out of the CAR-15 boys...
I like M1As, I just prefer a simpler, more durable weapon. Yes, you can accurize an M1A, but the accurized SA-58s have been known to consistently print 1/4" at 100yrds.
I bought the DSA because of their reputation. I have seen some of the 'kit guns', and I haven't been too impressed with fit and finish. And the story that DSA recievers are weak is just a bunch of BS put out to hurt their sales. Some people have no scruples.

Nyterunner: Holy cow! LAPD would sh!t a brick if some patrolman tried that in LA. Well at least until a N. Hollywood type deal occured. Sounds like your agency has more brains than LAPD and LASD combined.

DSA stuff is generally quite good. The primo stuff is supposed to come from ARS, but at a hefty price.

My vote is for the FAL also. Good magazines are dirt cheap ($5-$15 each). H-gear is pretty easy to get: I have South African, Belgian, and Canadian (by far the best). The weapon is super simple. The first time you take it apart, you'll marvel at the complex simplicity (difficult to design something that serves multiple purposes).

Get a nice FAL and spend the money you save on a couple of cases of ammo. And yes, mags are cheaper. 10 FAL mags will run you between $70 and $100. 10 M14 mags will cost *at least* $400.

Wasn't sure about the FAL, until I shot one.

Now I want one, too!

Get it, learn it, shoot it, LOVE it!

And I like the advice about "buy the FAL and invest the savings in a couple of cases of ammo". Words to live by!

LarryLove here, again. So what about FAL prices? Seems like there's some models that everyone agrees on as being "good" or "not-so-good." What is the difference in price for these two?

DS arms are the ones that are considered the best, I have seen them between $1200 and $1500. Springfield imported one with a thumbhole stock that was $1200 (I think, I'm not sure, it's been a while). And then there are a ton of imported parts guns. I've used one parts gun from Century Arms and it was a piece of junk. It was $600 I believe.

Get a SAR 48, you'll be very happy. Great workmanship and finish. With surplus I got 3 to 4" groups at 200yds. DSA has an aftermarket dust cover that is heavy aluminum and is reported to keep zero nicely. Expect to pay 1600 to 1900 for nib or slighly used.

LarryLove-See my post above IRT T. Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems. As to your question who makes the best FAL; currently the best complete rifles are by DSA, but there is a 9 month wait for them. Federal Ordnance has a parts gun made up on an Imbel (Brazilian) rcvr., which is one of the best rcvrs. COMMONLY available today, DS Arms being the other. I have no experience with Hesse or Entreprise, although I know that some gunsmiths who specialize in the FAL such as T. Mark Graham and Mike Prewitt don't like them much, and in some cases will refuse to assemble rifles based upon these two rcvrs. because it takes too much labor to make them functional. IMO you should contact either DS Arms or Arizona Response Systems about purchasing a rifle. As I stated earlier, the only drawback to DSA is the wait, whereas Ariz. Response Systems has completed rifles ready to ship as we speak. Hope this helps.

Larrylove, the difference between the $600 FALs and the $1500 FALs, on the surface, isn't a lot. They both are largely composed of demilled Austrian FAL parts (Stg-58) built up on either an American-made (DSA, Enterprise, Hesse) or Brazilian-made receiver (Imbel). What makes the price difference is that the $600 rifles are literally thrown together while the $1500 DSA FAL has many high quality US-made parts and is carefully assembled and finished. Is a DSA FAL worth the extra money? Maybe not given that you can get a nice FAL for $1250 from Arizona Response Systems. However, both of the latter are definitely worth more money than the $600 Century FALs I've seen at gun shows. I've torn down and refinished a Century FAL and was surprised at the amount of rust and gunk that was in the tight places. If you get one of the Century rifles, you should immediately take it to a FAL gunsmith to have it checked out, cleaned and refinished. Figure you'll spend anywhere between $150 and $200 for the work. Buy a new set of handguards from DSA for $60 (The Century handguards seem to all have dents) and you *could* end up with a very nice FAL for under $1000.

[This message has been edited by pbash (edited February 06, 2000).]

Back