Taurus Ultra Lite?

MK11

Took a look at the Taurus Ultra Light in .38 this weekend and I was very impressed. Does anyone have any experience with this model? I love the 2.5" S&W 686, but I've never tried a revolver smaller than that. Thanks!

My wife had an 85UL for awhile and it was a handful for her! I finally started loading Bullseye and wadcutters for it. Good gun though.

Two of my e-friends on the board have UL's...

..and my wife has a nearly perfect Total Ti.
However, MY UL was bad from the start. So, not being angry anymore, I'd have to say that they're mostly OK.

Will

I have a Taurus Model 85UL in stainless. It's a nice gun, but does have a little bite for me between my thumb and index finger when I shoot over 30 rounds. I still enjoy shooting it and it's a nice personal carry gun for me. I think they make them in ported too which might help a little.

When I went to my CCW class I had to shoot 50 rounds, that was a little much at one setting for me, but I got through it fine and now have my license. When I practice I don't shoot that many at a time, so it's not a problem.

I haven't found an auto that I like enough to change (one of these days I want a 45 cal. Glock G30...nice dream anyway!!!)

Just one of the girls two cents worth...

gj

I am interested in a snub and I don't want to support Ruger or Smith due to their obvious actions against those of us who believe that the right to keep and bear arms exists primarily to defend the populace against a tyrannical government while hunting and personal defense are collateral benefits thereof.

That said, I recently looked at a blue Taurus Model 85 UL. The blue job was terrible. The front of the cylinder hardly had any bluing at all on it. The grips they come with move and wobble when you shoot and should be replaced with wood post haste.
The star looked absolutely terrible and was as poor of a machining job as I have ever seen on any gun and I used to be an allow steel salesman dealing with beau coup Machine Shops
The SS model looked a little better.

I know lots of folks have great luck with em and I own a Model 605 but I am just not comfortable with what I have seen thus far and Ruger or Smith are out of the question. I plan to look at one of those EAA Windicators if I can find one and see how they are built. One other thing:the range I shoot at stated that Taurus revolvers are in constant need of tightening and adjustment and these guys sell em'!

The first time I shot the 3" 605 with light load .357's the front part of the bluing burned off at least 1/4" back from the muzzle. I have never seen a .357 19 snub do that. Those crappy two-piece grips drove me crazy wobbling around as well. I ended up taking them off and putting a bead of toughened black super glue on the outer edges and then it soldified the feel.

I have an all steel stainless steel Model 85 two inch in .38 spl. It used to wear Uncle Mike's boot grips. Now it wears these at http://www.cdnninvestments.com/rub85comchec.html .

I used to think I wanted an airweight type gun, but over the years I've found ways to carry the all steel versions quite comfortably no matter how I'm dressed.

The above Model 85 I purchased new in 1995, about three months before I purchased my new S&W 640-1 .357. So, these guns have pretty much been shot side by side over the past six years. The Smith has had 150 magnums at most put through it. The bulk of the shooting with both guns has been done with my own reloads, most of which are lead bullets loaded at +P pressures per my Speer #10 manual.

Both guns have stood up equally well. They are both as tight as they were out of the box. The action of the Taurus is not as good as the Smith's, never was, and probably never will be. As far as practical accurracy, 12 oz. cans at 10 yards, the less smooth action makes no difference. However, the new Taurus revolvers I have handled have had actions that are every bit as good a a j-frame Smith's!

My next gun will be a two inch ALL STEEL Taurus Model 85 in .38 spl. The blued version goes for around $230 at the Outdoor America stoor in Oklahoma City. Comperable Smith and Rugers are $100 to 150 more. The Taurus isn't as durable as a Ruger, but I'm still trying to wear mine out!

Yep, I am replying to this post! :)

I have Stainless Steel and Total Titanium Taurus M85 snubbies. Both look and perform perfectly. No complaints whatsoever.

my2taurus85s.jpg

I've got an M85UL (not titanium). It goes about everywhere with me. I'm a 5'10" and 200lbs. Recoil is not a problem. Shoot 100 rounds each outing with it, no problems. Points well, single and double action trigger very good+ (still not as good as my Smith model 60). Carry more so than the Smith because it points better on a draw and shoot scenario (not slow fire target shooting) as in IDPA type competition. I compete with an auto loader, but practice with this as it is one of my real world carry guns.

Mine points better for me too. The difference in grip angle is very subtle. It also doesn't blister my hand like my Smith does after a couple of hundred rounds.

Just bought one myself.....oh yeah!

MKII: I just recently bought a Taurus Mod 85 ultralite myself. The fit and finish on mine is really quite nice. It is black but the finish looks like hard baked-on enamel. I ordered the $40 smooth rosewood boot grips for it and it is a sweet thing to handle and shoot. Using all Georgia Arms ammo, I shot 110 gr PLUS-P JHP's, 125 gr PLUS-P SJHP's, and 158 gr SWC's. It weighs in a 17 oz loaded and fits easily in my Uncle Mike's size 3 pocket holster. I think Taurus has come along way in quality control, especially with their revolvers. I'd recommend one to anyone who wants a simple, reliable, foolproof self-defense weapon. I got mine brand-new for $272. Enjoy yours, good shooting.

I've got a model 85 UL, I love it. Quite accurate for what it is.

As far as the finish......if I'd wanted a Mercedes, I'd have paid for a Mercedes, I wanted a small, reliable handgun that went BANG every time, that's what I got.

Good Luck!!

I like the mod 85 titanium. With its compensator holes in the barrel the perceived recoil feels significantly less than a heavier pistol without the holes. :D

Back