Taurus TX 22 compact

ghbucky

A week or so ago I took my wife to basic handgun course I asked the instructor to help her pick out a rental gun for the range portion of the class (that was the first time she had ever fired a gun).

He had her use a Taurus TX 22 and she told me she liked it. I'd always thought of Taurus as sort of a budget gun maker, so I sort of brushed it off thinking, well yeah, that's the only gun you've ever fired! She is only 5'2" with very small hands, and she felt comfortable with the controls.

Well, I did a bit of research and found out that this gun is actually pretty innovative. It is like most polymer guns I've handled with a very simple field stripping procedure, which I liked.

So after her Mother's Day brunch we went to a gun store and they had one so we picked up the compact version for $350.

The trigger is OK. It is gritty and has some travel but it resets very quickly and breaks nicely from there. Rear sights are plain black, which I'm not a fan of but at least the front sight has a white dot.

All in all it is a nice little gun that hopefully will get her to the range (I've been wanting a semi-auto .22 LR pistol, anyway).

I wonder if I'll get a yoga mat for Father's Day?

I've never owned a Taurus but have seen the pros and cons posted over the years - I prefer to judge if a firearm is good or not by handling it and shooting it. I was not familiar with the TX 22 so looked up some videos of it - from what I saw, it is getting a lot of praise for its performance and reliability. A plus it seems is the 16 round capacity.

If your wife likes the TX 22, I say "you go girl!" If she enjoys shooting it, that's the important thing and she'll get more and more comfortable with it and continued fun and success with it will mean an increase in self confidence. You did good by letting her select what she likes - most husbands forget it's not about them, it's about her.

I hope you'll post updates on your wife'd progress and the TX 22. I picked up a Ruger SR22 a short time ago and stocked up on 22LR in the hopes I can possibly get my wife interested - we're both 70 and the only handgun she has ever shot is a Ruger Super Bearcat. If she is open to it and likes the shooting, then I'll let her pick out any handgun she wants and I would feel a whole lot better if I knew she was carrying when she is out alone and she had the train and a CPL.

Good luck to you and your wife!

I teach a lot of older women to shoot and I always start them out with my full size S&W M&P 22. We then switch to the S&W M&P 22 Compact. They like shooting the full size gun but all seem to like the Compact better. Unfortunately S&W no longer makes the Compact and the full size M&P 22 is a little pricey.

Taurus has the perfect go to options. The full size TX22 is very popular and priced right. The new TX22 Compact is the perfect replacement for the M&P 22 Compact. Both have great reliability and seem to handle any standard or high velocity ammunition without problems. These guns are great for initial training and for getting some students ready for the step up to a .380 or 9mm.

I also have a 9mm, Taurus GX4 with Romeo 1 red dot and an attached flashlight/laser by my bed. It's 100% reliable and very accurate.

I have the TX-22 standard. My wife and adult daughter love shooting it. It always works. I wouldn’t have bought the compact, the standard is small enough. I’m wondering about that price, I’ve never seen one higher than $299, and usually more around $269.

Oh, I forgot to mention that she is a lefty, and this budget gun has a reversible mag release so that is a nice bonus.

I'll change that over once I 'break it in'.....

I have the TX-22 standard. My wife and adult daughter love shooting it. It always works. I wouldn’t have bought the compact, the standard is small enough. I’m wondering about that price, I’ve never seen one higher than $299, and usually more around $269.
I'm sure I could have found it cheaper elsewhere if I'd shopped around enough, but it was there and she liked it, and it was Mother's day.

I'm thinking about getting one of those myself. I've got a Taurus G2C, and a G3, and I'm impressed with both of them. They just chug along putting the rounds downrange, and about as close to where I was aiming as I ever expect to.

Sorry, made a mistake, it was late. S&W no longer makes the full size M&P 22 and it's the M&P 22 Compact that is a little pricey.

I also have a TX22 standard and after some magazine feeding problems that Taurus fixed, it is the most “fun” plinker to shoot. Great feel and reset.

Finally got the pistol to the range today (my wife did not) and put about 50 rounds through it. It is a great shooter, never had an issue.

It is a great gun.

I've had a TX22 for several years now. It turned into a favorite range gun almost immediately. A few months ago I picked up the compact model. If anything, I like the little model as much or more. The longer mags fit in the smaller compact model, a neat perk to owning both models.

I injured my eye a while back. This event caused me to purchase lasers for the guns that will accommodate them. The TX models are great platforms for this set up. Great fun, easy to use, reliable and easy load and to aim, (with the lasers that is).

Back