Taurus "Trailhand"

bamaranger

So, the new American Rifleman mag came in today and there's an article and pictures of the Taurus Trailhand a mare's leg type "leverpistol". (12" bbl)

Does anybody else think that w/ a std buttstock, in .44 mag, it would make a dandy trapper carbine? It would be a "short rifle" (class II?), but it sure would be handy!

As is, in the mare's leg configuration, it's cool, but not really useful, if you ask me.

I can't recall the specs (only saw it in American Rifleman last night),but capacity looks to be too limited,unless it has more than 6 shots,you might as well have a long barreled revolver.
The lever loop is handy for fast shooting with gloves,but goes against the whole concealability of the thing.

Then again,I was never a Steve McQueen/ Mare's Leg fan.

I'm just amazed that ATF doesn't consider that stub of stock (with buttplate apparently!) below the grip to constitute a "full stock",making it an SBR as it's being sold.

There was a similar post on a different site about these guns.I agree with you about it being a lousy pistol but a great short barreled rifle with a real stock.While it is possible to legally convert a Mares Leg into a SBR,at least under federal law,it might not be possible to do so under the various state laws.It might also prove to be prohibitively expensive(taxes,fees,ect.).With a good peep sight,it would be a great woods gun for deer and hogs.

6+1

The article states a 6 rd capacity, which I interpret to be 6+1. I'd choose .44, as the stubby bbl likely looses a good bit of omph. and .357 would be a trifle weak. (for a carbine) . With std iron sights (could you put a peep on it) I would definitely shoot it better than a similarly sighted handgun.

I'll never do it 'cause of the cost, but there's a stubby trapper out there only needing a real butt stock.

Do you think Taurus engineered some trick to prohibit such a mod?

Oh yeah........

I never noticed, but MCQUEEN's belt holds what appear to be 45-70 ctgs, but isn't his mares leg a win 92???

Don't want to side track the post, but I just noticed that tonight.

Yes, it's well known that McQueen's gun was a 44-40 with 45-70s on his belt. And they never showed him reloading...gee, wonder why?

:)

This crazy "stunt gun" showed up in the Science Fiction series Firefly and subsequent movie Serenity. So you basically need a brown coat to go with it :D.

Original plan was allegedly to release this under the Rossi brand...looks like that's changed?

I'm also worried about that stub of a stock. I think I'd want to trim that a bit more...wouldn't affect handling and would carve off a bit more weight.

I'm just amazed that ATF doesn't consider that stub of stock (with buttplate apparently!) below the grip to constitute a "full stock",making it an SBR as it's being sold.
No different than the padded buffer tubes on AR pistols...

Do you mean the Rossi Ranch Hand?

Is this the same model you are talking about? Taurus also said a few years ago they were going to sell a .22 lr leveraction rifle that never appeared. I think Taurus and Rossi are now the same company. I would think the pump action AWA would be an easier "pistol" action to handle accurately

Back