taurus tracker opinions

meat

Anyone on the board have any experiences or opinions to share about the Taurus Tracker 4" stainless .357? I'm thinking about one for home defense loaded w/ .38 +P. Don't know if the porting on it is good or bad for this intended use. However, I shot one at the range. It seeemed to be a pretty decent piece. The action was actually pretty smooth. The guy at the range said that taurus has some new maufacturing machines and that's the reason why their guns being made now are of a much greater quality. Don't know if this is true, but maybe somebody out there does.....

I don't know about the stainless version, but the titanium gun really benefits from the porting, in my opinion. It really does keep the muzzle jump under control in this lightweight version. It may be unnecessary, however, on the heavier steel guns.

BTW - My Taurus is the 4" ti version.

Taurus Tracker 4" stainless .357 was my first handgun purchase. After firing only 14 cartridges in it, I returned it to the dealer and got a Ruger KGP141 (ss, 4" heavy barrel).

Reasons:

The Taurus instruction manual indicated dry firing could damage the gun. The Ruger instruction manual indicated unlimited dry firing would not damage the gun. I want to do unlimited dry firing without any concern for effect on the gun, which I can and do with the Ruger.

The Taurus has a PC locking device imbedded in the hammer. The Ruger is free of such an unwanted device.

The Taurus is ugly. The Ruger is beautiful. :)

Do a search re Ruger KGP141 on TFL for more re this excellent revolver.

On the plus side for the Taurus Tracker in stainless steel, I must say that the porting and serrated rubber grip combine to almost totally eliminate perceived recoil. During the firing of those 14 cartridges, it was only the noise that let me know the rounds had been fired; I didn't feel the recoil.

But, do a search on TFL re risks related to porting in self-defense handgun shooting. Both my GP100 and and my SP101 are ported, but now that I am less a tyro than I was a year ago, I'll not ever again get porting in a handgun intended for CCW or HD. Neither of the guns in my two front pockets (NAA .22 Mini Master Magnum and S&W 317 Kit Gun) are ported.

I have the SS version with a 4" barrel. I love it!! I have had it for about 7 months now and have put over 1,000 rounds through it. I have had a S & W 686 2" 357 prior to the Tracker. I tell you that I like the Tracker alot better. So does the wife. We decided on the SS version so it wouldn't kick so much for the wife. I think the extra weight makes a difference. The ports on the front help the recoil and I love the ribber grips. A buddy of mine got a Ruger SP 101 at the same time I got mine. I think the Tracker is a better piece in looks as well as performance. Have put plenty of +p 38 rounds through it too. The flash isnt near as bad as with the full house 357 loads. I have 38 +P for home defense in it now.

I have a 6 1/2 in tracker and I think it is great. the porting keep it level even with some fairly heavy handloads. the ribber grips is super. My skinny 13year old son loves it and would rather shoot it than anything we have to shoot in the house. I can keep all shots inside of 6" at 25 yds. I shoot light 158gr lead loads and some heavy 158 jhp Hornady xtp loads Great gun

I've had a stainless Tracker for about 18 months or so...

This is the nicest Taurus revolver I've seen...more so, every bit as nice as any S&W, Ruger or Colt.

OK, Taurus has an integral lock...don't like it...don't use it (I do...think it's a great idea). Taurus never folded under Federal pressure...nor did they support the stupid magazine capacity limit (Curse you, Bill Ruger!)

This gun is my primary house handgun (12 gauge is the real thing). I'd stake my life on the revolver!

Back