Taurus tracker 44 mag your thoughts?

It's a Taurus....

That's my thoughts.

I shot a Taurus once. It sure wasn't a S&W.

In all honesty - with the price of ammunition these days, the price of the gun is really a moot point.
So what if a S&W is like $500 more? You'll have the gun for what, 40/50 years?
That's less that a dollar a month. Less than a McD value fries...

In my opinion, the Tracker series is one of the few Taurus got right. I'd prefer a Ruger, but the Taurus should be fine of thats your budget range.

You don't tell us about your intended use(s). Woods carry, range plinking, general casual use: they are fine. Pistol silhouette competition: there are better choices.

I have a tracker in 357. It's a solid revolver. Zero issues and eats hot Underwood rounds like candy.
My dad also had 44 tracker which he loved. Traded it in for a raging bull.

I like rugers also, I have an Sp101 357 Hmmm if most think it's better I can go that way. I really liked the price of the Taurus. Don't know much about them

I like the price and looks of the tracker series but I can never bring myself to buy one because of my other bad Taurus experiences. I have heard several other gunshops gripe about timing being off or just overall poor build quality as well.

Yet, the biggest problem for me is their horrendous customer service. When something goes wrong it may take months to get it fixed or to get the part that you need. They are based out of Brazil which complicates things.

If you can be patient and shop around there is a good chance you can find a barely used ruger or smith for a good price. A lot of guys buy one, shoot it once or twice, and dump it when they realize they aren't Dirty Harry.

I have a Tracker. The DA trigger is a little stiff. Other than that it's a very good revolver. It's quite accurate and has given me zero problems.

Have TRACKER™ guns in 357 Magnum and 41 Magnum. Put thousands of rounds through both of them. Both are strong, durable, reliable, and accurate. The 41 Magnum is my favorite and is what I carry whenever I am in the woods. IMHO the Taurus® TRACKER™ series are EXCELLENT GUNS!

What are you looking at getting, a 357 Mag or a 44 Mag?

Nothing wrong with a Taurus revolver. I'd dismiss those who post the classic "it's a taurus" advice.

I like the price and looks of the tracker series but I can never bring myself to buy one because of my other bad Taurus experiences. I have heard several other gunshops gripe about timing being off or just overall poor build quality as well.

I have the impression there are more production variances of Taurus than say Ruger or S&W. In other words, quality within a given model within a given year varies more. Therefore, a person can get a good one or a bad one. Or maybe in between. Am I correct about this?

There far more problem free Taurus's running around than one's with issues. Kind of comes down to your personal preference, are you willing to spend the extra $300 on a Ruger/S&W or not?
As for me? I don't shoot .44mag in double action and a single action Ruger is only $60 or so more than the Taurus.

I had a 44 mag Tracker once. It wasn't too bad until I got to the third cylinder full, and the gun locked up because one of the chambers was so out of line with the forcing cone that shaved lead kept the cylinder from turning. Stick with S&W.

I second some of the other guys. Chances are you'll be happier with a Smith or a Ruger.

Now, you could get a great Taurus like many before you. I wasn't so lucky and haven't bought another since my troubles.

I second some of the other guys. Chances are you'll be happier with a Smith or a Ruger.

Now, you could get a great Taurus like many before you. I wasn't so lucky and haven't bought another since my troubles.

I guess they're best off economically if they continue as is instead of aiming for a failure/problem rate similiar to Ruger and S&W.

My Taurus experience with two is not very positive and being a Smith revolver fan am willing to pay the extra bucks for the quality. A few years ago when my Taurus was being sent in for the second time my LGS refused to purchase a Taurus revolver unless the customer understood all returns were on him ( the customer) due to the number of guns sent in for repairs by the shop. That may have changed but my opinion has not.
New production S&W is being brought into the current avenues of production, I prefer the older offerings without safeties, firing pin in frame, eco grips, two piece barrels etc.

Nothing wrong with a Taurus revolver. I'd dismiss those who post the classic "it's a taurus" advice
Your money- your gun.
Still doesn't change the fact that - it's a Taurus.
Why on Earth would you dismiss that?

Saying "Its a Taurus" is simply a statement of fact.

Anyhow - I strongly recommend going through this thread before buying a Taurus.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582878

Taurus (the company) appears to be having all sorts of problems right now.

Last edited:
Back