Taurus Total Titanium .38 Snub,is it a J frame? Opinions?

45automan

Hi guys are these built on a J frame? The older Taurus revolvers seem to have a 5 shot cylinder on a 6 shot frame.
Thanks for any info on these guns,45automan

No, it's not a J-frame. A J-frame is produced by Smith & Wesson. I don't think Taurus and S&W frame sizes are quite the same, nor do I think Taurus identifies their frames with the same letters that S&W uses.

And aren't the titaniums slightly bigger than their stainless/carbon steel counterparts?

I've not really looked at them that closely...

The regular Taurus M85 is comparable to the S&W J-frame size gun. This is not to say that they are the same. Let's put it this way, the Mod 85 uses the same speedloaders as the J frame Smith. Taurus calls this their compact or small frame.

The Mod 669 Taurus (six shot .357) uses the same speedloader size as the Smith K and L frame. Taurus calls this their medium frame.

Now Taurus has their .44 Mag and .454Casull chambered revolvers. I don't know if they are the same frame size as each other or not. Who knows what they call those things!

Now, to totally confuse things, I have a Dan Wesson .357. DW calls this their small frame, and yet it uses the same speedloaders as the K and L frame Smiths, but the frame is substantially larger than even the L frame. DW's large frame revolvers (their .357 Maximum, .41Mag, and up are freaking huge!!

Colts are another matter also.

So I guess I really didn't answer your question, but I hope this helps some! ;)

I own a Taurus Total Titanium Model 85 as well as a Stainless Steel Model 85.
The Taurus Model 85s are all the same size, whether Titanium, Aluminum, or Steel. Now, the Model 85s are just a tiny big larger than the S&W J Frame. Beyond the very small size difference, both the S&W J Frame and Taurus Model 85 use the same architecture.
All in all I really like the Taurus Model 85s. I recomend them to alot of people.
What specifically were you wanting to know about Model 85s?

mytaurus38.jpg

my2taurus38s.jpg

Back