Taurus Titanium Tracker 627

Rickmeister

Well, I finally had a chance to try out my new Taurus Titanium Tracker (627). I put 50 rounds through it, and my overall impression was---I'm sorry to say it---average :(

Here's how I see it:

PROS:
1) Looks nice
2) Comfortable grip
3) Lightweight
4) Rust resistant
5) Solid trigger pull and hammer drop
6) Functional yoke detente

CONS:
1) Strong muzzle flip when using bullet weights over 110 gr and powerloads over 450 fpe (80% of all .357 magnum cartridges).
2) Abysmal out-of-the-box accuracy! :mad:
3) Ugly flash nicks and radial blast grooves on the---hard???---cylinder face after shooting the first few standard loads.

VERDICT:
Save your money for a rainy day...in which case you might consider investing it in a Glock (fires wet) :D

I wonder if 'Shooting Times' technical editor Dick Metcalf got a kick-back for his positive comments on Tracker recoil at www.galleryofguns.com---er, no pun intended.

If they made .38 Special cartridges in a .357 format (long, so that the cylinder bores don't erode at the front), I'd go for them. Otherwise, this gun WILL complain. I'll keep it because it's a good gun in every other way, though; and who knows---I might end up loving it after a time. Meanwhile, I'll just "bite the bullet" (metaphorically speaking) and use only the tamer tacks.

Last edited:
I bought the SS version to keep the muzzle flip and recoil in check. I figured the Titanium version would be stout. My Tracker shoots very well. Its a tack driver with 125 gr. hollowpoints. Took a few rounds to zero it in with the adjustable sights but she shoots very well for me. Sorry to hear your unhappy. Personally I wouldnt want any magnum revolver in Titanium. Just seems it would be too light. Maybe a titanium .38 snubby or so but magnums need the weight to keep recoil down.

Just a note: on the Titanium Traker minimum bullet weight is a 125 grain bullet.

I have had a lot of fun with my Ti tracker. You have to remember this is carry gun not a shoot 200 rds. of ammo at a time gun. I like to use 158 gr. loads and watch her fly. With pracitce the gun becomes controlable. I do love the grip on the trackers.

Minimum Bullet Weight 125: Why is that?

Bad_Karma,
Your post on a minimum bullet weight of 125 gr. for the Ti Tracker really caught my attention. I can't believe I always have a bad day when I shoot 110 gr.'s out of my 3" SP101 (38 Spl. +P) because my groups miraculously improve with full house (16.6 gr. W296) 158 gr. 357 loads. The 110 gr. 38's not only fly below point of aim, but my groups are much larger. Could you (or others) provide details on why lighter bullets may not be as accurate? Thanks.

GUESSING (just for fun)

Barrel twist rate; jumping crimp under recoil, entering throat from a distance, mis-stamped parts?

I am not sure why they do not recomend lighter bullets.

When the Ruger 101 first came out in .357 form it was only rated for 125 grain ammunition nothing lighter or heavier.

Bad_Karma,
When I spoke to Ruger about the older SP101 that was designed for 125 GR. only they said you were able to shoot 38's and also .357 110 GR. you could not shoot nothing larger than the 125 GR. because of the length of the cartridge.

Scott

Correction...

Okay, now I've got it all figured out.

First of all, my most humble apology to Taurus. My unflattering review of the Titanium Tracker 627 was grossly unfounded.

Yes, there IS a bit more of a kick in this model than in its heavier SS counterpart, but the extreme muzzle-flip that I experienced was mostly due to my compulsive tendency to test-fire guns straight out of the box without immediate consideration for their accuracy :rolleyes:

In the case of my Tracker, the rear sight---I later realized---came from the factory at its lowest position. Lining up both sights under this condition had me pointing ever-so-slightly downward, altering the horizontal vector to include a vertical component. Hence, when I fired, the recoil force did not point straight back on a line parallel to the axis of my arm, but rather through a point several inches above my shoulder. The result was a nasty muzzle-flip.

I have since corrected the problem---a fix that made a world of difference! Recoil is tame, grouping is good, and shooting is just plain fun. If I had only one thing to say now, it would be that I actually love this gun.

Happy ending, eh? ;)

Last edited:
Back