Taurus TCP or Taurus 85 revolver ?

I'm thinking of getting a new pistol for occasional carry when my Sig p250 SC is too big.
Taurus TCP is an option, 6+1 of Critical Defense seems good. My price local is $175
Model 85 revolver appears to be equally concealable, 5 rounds of 38+P (Critical Defense or Bufalo Bore), online price only, so ship+ffl is around $230-250

local pawn shop sometimes have Kahr PM9 for $200

some folks would say go with the TCP as it's quicker mag change, but how many people carry a small backup now and then and only carry the gun and no extra mag ? therefore revolver or pistol / mag or cylinder is a mute point.

my 'backup' gun right now is a 1954 H&R 922. NO swing out cylinder at all, you reload by pulling the cylinder totally out. so you have 9 rounds only. i can however get 1 1/2" groups with the right ammo, which is 9 bad guys on the floor with aimed shots.
i'm betting the taurus 2" 38+P could do the same, plus the added benefit of center mass shots.

the other issue is ammo, 380 is $23 a box, i reload 38, so i'd also have to get reloading dies if i want to shoot 380 more than a few times a year.

38 revolver, or 380 pistol... Either one will get the job done. I like revolvers better, so my choice would be the revolver. Many are going to tell you the pistol is a better choice.

Consider the Charter Arms Police Undercover 38. Its roughly the same size as the Taurus 85, but holds 6 shots. Its in the same price class as the 85, around $330. I ordered a spurless hammer for mine, and it makes an excellent carry revolver. Speedloaders for the S&W K frames work perfectly.

I have a model 85 (steel framed) and have had a TCP and now have LCP.

Weight of the new ultra light 85's I cant comment on as mine is steel.
But size wise they are the same.
For a quick pocked grab. go with the TCP. Thats were they shine.

I will say though my Model 85 is the most comfortable IWB carry I have.
It just snug fits right in there. I suspect all J frame type guns would carry as nice.
I can carry it all day and never notice, even wrestling with the Dogs.

I handled the model 85 at bass pro during lunch and the TCP. TCP is a smidge smaller on the main dimensions. the M85 however had the most amazing grips, you only have technically space for two fingers but there is a divot for your pinky which would aid in control when the pistol pivots upon recoil.

it's a hard choice. tcp much cheaper, m85 better ammo choice. and m85 doesn't appear any bigger than my h&r 922 and that can be ankle carried.

Taurus TCP is an option, 6+1 of Critical Defense seems good. My price local is $175
Model 85 revolver appears to be equally concealable, 5 rounds of 38+P (Critical Defense or Bufalo Bore), online price only, so ship+ffl is around $230-250

Between the two, I'd go with the revolver.

TCP is a smidge smaller on the main dimensions.

The revolver you're looking at isn't the Taurus "View", is it?

I would never buy a Taurus Semi -Auto handgun.....................

The revolvers are a different story! Just bought a Model 66 seven shot 357 and love it!

i love with my Taurus semi-automatic, but also love my 85 as well. the pt111 is not too much larger than the tcp if you like 9mm. both are smaller than the 85 and hold more boolits

I carry a model 85 ultra-light sometimes. I used to have the steel-framed version, but it was stolen. They both are/were excellent. The DA trigger on the ultra-light is so good that I went ahead and removed the hammer spur to make it snag-free.

I prefer the revolver, but I carry my tiny 380 (P3AT) more often because it is easier to conceal.

Georg, based on Taurus on again off again quality problems. For a self defense weapon I would consider a handgun by someone else. I have one Taurus and it's been a fine revolver but many others have not had the same luck with Taurus I've had.

That being said, as I'm a revolver guy, I would opt for the M-85.

Best of luck whatever you do.

I would add a revolver but would lean more towards a good used S&W 442 or 642 or Ruger. I have had 2 of the ultra lite M85 TI guns and both failed and had to go back for repair on my dime both times. I know many guys have had thesame guns but no problems but this is what happened to me. YMMV Good luck with what ever you decide.

btw....my wife has the plastic Taurus 85, decent weight savings and has been a great gun. I believe they were trying to compete with the LCR market, but it doesn't seem nearly as small. but it's been a great gun and fits the pocket well, we have multiple thousands through hers and still runs great, only issue we have had was the little fiber-optic rod fell out of front sight. mine is th .357 version. I have never handld the .38 +P poly before, so maybe it's a little smaller, not sure. the model is Taurus 605 I believe

I chose the TCP and I am glad I did. The small size and light weight makes if very concealable. I find it accurate for such a little gun and it is comfortable for me to shoot (I have only shot 20-30 at one time). I sent it back for repair just after I got it for a couple of minor issues and it has been fine with the 400-500 rounds I have shot through it since I got it back.

It is more comfortable than the LPC and it has last shot hold open that most of the other small gun, including the LPC, doesn't have. I would choose it again for my $199 I spent.

Unlike Capt Rick Hiott, I would never buy a Taurus revolver.

I spent a few years as gun room manager for Sportsman's Warehouse, and I sent back more Taurus revolvers for warranty service than everything else COMBINED that we sold. Taurus autos, on the other hand, I can remember only two that were sent back.

I picked up a new Kahr CM9 a couple months ago for $340 from Scheels, and that was a great buy. If you can get a PM9 for $200, that's a no-brainer.

I hear very few complaints, if any, about Taurus from new buyers in the last two years. it is well known that they has issues a while back, and that they have since restructured. I have bought, and still own, four taurus' in the last two years, all heavily used and 100% reliabile. I have 2 revolvers, 1 semi and a lever. the finish is not great on the 200$ guns, but I don't doubt any of their reliability any more or less than any other big name firearms

I've not had any issues with taurus, neither anyone i know.
friend has a tcp, i've had a 740 and currently own a model 82.

basic question was effectively being magazine fed pistol over a cylinder, odd's of doing a reload unlikely given its just a few times a month carry.
figuring price, would the revolver be a better deal even though more money.

the other issue is ammo, 380 is $23 a box, i reload 38, so i'd also have to get reloading dies if i want to shoot 380 more than a few times a year.

The $50 - $75 difference in initial cost will be moot once you buy 2 or 3 boxes of commercial .380 or purchase the equipment you need for reloading. Seems like a wash for cost, so it really comes down to which one you like better. My personal preference is semis over revolvers, but my preferences, of course, mean absolutely nothing, as this be your new gun, not mine. Which one makes you happier? Go with that one.

Back