Taurus Revolvers

mitchelljd

Inactive
Whats the opinions of the Taurus 357 Mag, 7 shot. I'm thinking of picking one up for my camping, backpacking piece. Which barrel length do you guys recomentd, and is Titanium worth it?
Thanks,
Jeff

I have had great experiences with my Taurus wheel guns. While, I don't own a 357 Taurus, I do own a Total Titanium 38, as well as a Stainless Steel 38. Both have performed perfectly.

Now for one of my obligatory infamous Taurus pics.... :)

my2taurus85s.jpg

I have one, accurate, triggers a bit stagy in pull through, one the whole a fairly compact weapon for a 6' barrel. The only real problem is finding speedloaders (wo catalog orders) and the rubber grips on the left side should have been about 1/8" or so thinner-speedloading 'blind' the grips will drag the loader.

Most likely, my next handgun purchase will be one of them in the UltraLight configuration. Seems like one heck of a pocket gun.

I assume your talking about the Tracker (Model 627)...

I own a SS Tracker. It's a really nice shooter, probably the best of the several Taurus revolvers I've owned. The 4" barrel seems to be a good compromise for shooting vs. portability.
This is used mostly as my house gun. I've never carried it...I've other (smaller) guns I carry regularly.

As far as the titanium version...you've just got to decide if it's worth the extra $200 or so... It'll also recoil more

I've got a Taurus M617 seven shot 357 mag snubby. I'm really impressed with this little piece. The bluing is excellent and the trigger is sweeter than my S&W. How far do you backpack? Can you live with a 28oz gun? Or do you need something super lightweight. If possible, I'd go with the heavier gun. The web of your hand will thank you for it. I prefer snubbies but you can also go with a Taurus M66 which comes with a 4" barrel but they tip the scales at 38ozs. Titanium snubbies have very harsh recoil with 158gr. magnum softpoints which you should carry in the woods anyway and they're very pricey. I've packed a snubby magnum in the woods for many a mile and like them alot. Best Regards, J. Parker

I think I can live with 28 ounces, the Titaniums sure look nice though; it just feels right to have a little weight behind it.

I usually do 1-3 day hikes. I live here in Oregon and Mountain lions are getting to be a real problem. High population without the food supply to support them.

Have experience with the model 66 with a 4 inch barrel. I agree with argo about the speedloaders. About 2 weeks ago, I submitted a post about finding them and several people posted suggestions. Apparently there are S&W loaders that are compatible with it.

Great gun; in fact, one day at the range I was showing it to an acquaintance who had a taurus 9 shot in 22. He asked me what gunsmith had adjusted the trigger on the 66, and I told him that it had come that way from the factory. Don't remember the weight, but it is pretty hefty.

I happen to really love the rubber grips. Have an IWB holster for it.

I have heard that some people have had difficulties with Taurus, but I would highly recommend them.

Bacchus

How did your friend like his Taurus 94 I'm planning on getting
one next week a 2in. SS snubby

I have a taurus 605 concealed hammer snubby 38/357 with Crimson Trace Laser grips . Great gun, great trigger.

I want the 94 .22 cal to practice more ,I'm getting a whole new respect for revolvers as practical no b*ll s**t point ,go bang weapons

Please let me know about the 94 .22cal

Thank You
Greyhound Dog

I've had great experience with

the Taurus M627 Tracker. Killed a deer with it this winter. A head shot at about 100 feet and it was a "done deal"! Unlike some of my other experiences with Taurus products the SS Tracker has been smooth, reliable, and accurate. I have had no trouble finding appropriate speed loaders. Titanium? Not for me! Can't reconcile the extra cost with the benefits. Just my thoughts though. May be just the thing for you. Good shooting.

Greyhound Dog,

My friend is a big revolver fan, so take that into consideration. He only had compliments about his Taurus in .22. The barrel was approx 6" if I remember correctly. It had adjustable sights and he was commenting about how easy they were to change. I haven't heard anything about the snubby .22s; to be honest, I didn't know that Taurus made them in .22.

His only complaint was about the trigger. He had sent it off to a smith and was pretty pleased with the results.

I have to agree with you about revolvers. I'm rediscovering how versatile they are and how much fun they are to shoot. Now I'm considering a Taurus in .44 magnum. Hope this helps.

Bacchus

Thanks for the response

Do yourself a favor .....Check out a pair of Crimson Trace Laser Grips . They are great ,and make alot of sense for use on a carry piece or house gun,think about it..........And it makes your time at the range much more productive.

TY
Greyhound Dog

S&W #36 vs. Taurus 85 (Ti)

I have a S&W 36 snub (over 20 years old) that "feels" like it has more recoil than my wife's Taurus Total Titanium, model 85. The Titanium 85 is much lighter than the blue steel S&W 36. Neither "feels" to me like recoil is heavy or unpleasant. (But then I'm kinda used to shooting my .40 cal.)

KR

:p I've had great luck with my taurus
606 357mag,very accurate,great trigger
the only thing i don't like is the noise
from the ported barrel but it does
reduce recoil quite a bit;)

Back