Taurus Revolvers/Pistols

stdalire

From my readings, many appreciate the Taurus firearms.

I have not seen one that really attracts my taste due to its very bulky and cheap metals look in their 9MM and .45 caliber.

The only thing I give credit to Taurus is, it was claimed by some books that Taurus Co. in Brazil is a subsidiary of Beretta, Italy. How true is this?. If so, then Beretta Brazil made will flourish the market.

Taurus used to produce licensed Beretta designs on Italian equipment. They modified some guns (frame rather than slide-mounted safeties). Their revolvers echo S&W line.

IMO, their autoloaders vary in quality and I am reluctant to buy one. OTOH, their revolvers are decent, sometimes better than S&W in fit and finish, though usually just a notch below. I consider their revolvers when shopping but not their autoloaders.

------------------
Oleg

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

Now, if Beretta also is made in Brazil under Taurus licensee, would it not diminish the quality of Beretta products like the 92F's lines. Or if Taurus has the same technology with that of Beretta Italy, does it means the Beretta Italy quality is the same as that of Brazil Made.

Just curious.

Thanks

Taurus bought the rights to produce the original Beretta 92 line (which had the safety on the FRAME). Beretta helped set up the factory but the two gun companies r totally seperate. Taurus has made modifications to the safety (added a decocking function) that makes it quite different form the Beretta guns. i prefer the Taurus operating system way more than the slide mounted safety of the Beretta 92. u can carry the Taurus cocked and locked or DA first shot. my PT99AFS is a great gun. i think it's a transition version because the decocking function leaves the safety down and it doesn't pop up. the DA trigger pull is very smooth and much lighter than the current PT92/99s i have tried. as for the revolvers, i won't buy one because of my really bad experience with a M94 9 shot .22LR. i hear they have improved a lot recently though.

------------------
Mik

<A HREF="http://"http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbour/347/10mm.html"" TARGET=_blank>my 10mm page</A>

I have both the new ti ul mutltalloy 38 spec and the ti 44 special revolvers, both of which I like very much. The 38 fits well in the pocket, and the 44 can even be carried in the pocket. Both have very manageable recoil.

According to the Taurus website, Taurus and S&W were owned by the same company, and shared some design information which is where the similarities on the revolvers comes from. Berreta had the contract to produce Brazil's military handguns, and the contract specified that they build a factory in Brazil. When Berreta lost that contract they sold the factory, along with all the tooling, equipment and employees. It didn't say if the model 92 was produced under licence or if the modifications of it were enough to make it a seperate design not requiring a license.

------------------
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8.

Visit the Taurus history page:
http://www.taurususa.com/history.html

My first gun was a Taurus PT99AF. I never had a single malfunction during the several years I owned it.

I have since owned several other Taurus guns:
1) PT100
2) PT945 - I've owned 2 of these.
3) M85UL

Of these the only problem I had was with the M85UL. It's cylinder would bind after firing a couple of rounds. I returned to to Taurus and they fixed the problem.

Taurus guns are not cheaply made copies. They may or may not be of the same quality as other makes, but they are a good value.

Havent had much experience with Taurus but I am waiting for repairs right now on my .454 Casull, Raging Bull. I checked the roundness of each chamber and size and did notice about .0015 out of round and the avg dia was large enough to allow for over-expansion of the cases and refuse to eject.
The accuracy using .300 gr xtpjhp winchester at 100' was .870 edge to edge that was a 10 round group. The overall asthetics were very good, very nicely finished, the porting system really was fun. You could feel the recoil being checked very distinctly. (I still put on a glove after the first five.)The muzzel blast cleared everything off the shooting bench that didnt need to be there anyway. I do understand after reading my new issue of Gun Test that the jamming cases in the chambers is also an issue with their .44Mag. Now we'll measure their customer service! 10 rounds from a new gun that has to be immediately returned to the factory makes me raise my eyebrow. Fortunately this one wasnt going to one of my customers. God that would have really pissed me off!

Back