Taurus revolver issues

Made the transfer bar from tool steel. After filing it to profile, it was placed into a hand vise and then bent by hand to 36 degrees. It was then fitted (some filing and honing) before annealing.

New issues but not my problem. My job was to make the transfer bar. First there is a spring and plunger inside the trigger and it provides pressure against the hand and makes the hand tilt forward so as to engage the ratchet. Sometimes it doesn't work. Second the acton sometimes locks up when you squeeze it in the double action mode. Third, sometimes when the hammer drops it doesn't go boom.

On the first, the spring and the plunger are so short that the plunger doesn't necessarily go forward enough to place pressure on the hand. If there is no or inconsistent pressure on the hand, the hand won't engage the ratchet and because it doesn't, the cylinder won't rotate. Taurus should have stayed with the musical wire spring design used by S&W.

As to the latter, I'm wondering if the transfer bar is hanging up on the firing pin? That could cause the action to lock up. There is a healthy bevel on the top of the transfer bar that should allow it to slip over (Taurus designed that right).

Made the transfer bar from tool steel. After filing it to profile, it was placed into a hand vise and then bent by hand to 36 degrees. It was then fitted (some filing and honing) before annealing.
Just a comment: The most common available is O-1 Drill Rod. It comes in an annealed state. Why did you anneal it again?

Does the cylinder start to rotate, when in DA, at all the positions, before it hangs up? If the cylinder doesn't rotate at one notch, it could be that the hand is causing rotation before the cylinder lock drops clear at one of the notches, (over eccentricity of the cylinder), but it should be this way in SA too. If so, you may have to take a slight amount off the top of the hand to barely shorten the stroke. It won't be very much at all, if that was to be the case. It could be this or the transfer bar catching, as you mention. There's no way to tell, unless by watching the cylinder for rotation when it locks up. If the cylinder starts to rotate at each position, in DA, but then locks up after the notch has cleared the cylinder lock, then suspect the transfer bar of catching the firing pins edge every now and then.

Stress is created when the transfer bar was bent. The annealing is supposed to take out the hardness and make it less susceptible to breakage.

The annealing will take out the stresses and it may also change the dimensions especially the angle !

O-1 comes in an annealed state (soft). So, I assume from the above posts that the heating process is "stress relieving",because of the bending then not "annealing"?

Back