Taurus Raging Bull 454 Recoil Question

j-heart

I am considering the purchase of a 8.375" Taurus Raging Bull 454, however I've heard talk about the recoil on this load, and I'm not sure how I would respond to it. I do not know anyone who has one and none of the ranges in my area have one for rental. I do own a Colt Python 4" .357 and feel comfortable with handling the recoil on this pistol with the .357 load. How much greater (%) is the recoil on the 454?

So subjective and so many variables.

How stiff are the loads you shoot in your .357 ? Off the shelf standard stuff, defensive loads or 1930s level screamin snarlin snappin range clearers ?

How well does either gun fit YOUR hand and style ?

The .454 is probably going to feel a little harsher. How much so depends on the variables involved.

If possible, borrow or rent one before committing.

Sam

The heavier Casull like you want recoils fairly mildly, for a Casull.
Sam has a wonderful suggestion...rent one if you can.
Keep in mind your 357 loads are probably 158 gr at the heaviest and will recoil accordingly.
The Casull bullet wt's are around twice of the heaviest 357...bullet weight and gun weight effect recoil more than any other variables.
Muzzle energy is 600 FPE compared to 1700-1900 FPE....
I have shot 3 different Casulls...the Raging Bull is by far the mildest to shoot...it has porting and the red rubber recoil pad built into the grip.....The worst to shoot is an original Casull....hard wood grip and no porting...it was an experience.
Regardless the Casull is the most powerful revolver in the world
and recoil is fitting for the gun....rent one youll like it.
Shoot well

A buddy of mine brought his 6" (6-1/2"?) Raging Bull out to my place. 260-grain hot loads.

Recoil was about the same as hot loads in my Redhawk. Just no big deal. The muzzle brake really works, as do the ergonomics of the plow-handle.

HOWEVER: Never shoot the danged thing without BOTH earplugs AND HearGuards!!! That sucker is LOUD!

:), Art

I used to have a 6.5 Taurus. Recoil was no big deal, shooting a .44 Mag in a Vaquero was MUCH worse to me. The porting does help as I know have a Ruger.

I had one, it was ok. I am not a Taurus fan, so if I were to do it again, I'd save up and buy the Freedom Arms. If I couldn't wait that long, I'd get the Ruger. Recoil on the Taurus is almost all straight back, and you will feel an air pressure change when firing it. With hot loads, its not painful to shoot, but almost.

Eric Larsen, you said, "Regardless the Casull is the most powerful revolver in the world
and recoil is fitting for the gun"

Incorrect. As soon as I name a cartridge that is, someone else will correct me. There are .45-70 revolvers, but in "normal" sized revolvers, the .475 Linebaugh is much closer to the title than the Casull.

I have the 6.5 inch Raging Bull and it is a great pistol. If you don't mind shooting 3.5 inch 12 gauge loads in a shotgun, you won't mind shooting the .454 - that is about the only analogy I can come up with. The Raging Bull is the only Taurus firearm I own, and after having purchased this one, I would have no problem with owning another Taurus product. I have a Leupold 2.5-10 power EER scope on the Raging Bull and it is a VERY accurate combination. If you don't like the recoil on the .454 you can always shoot the .45 colt in it for just plinking.

Don't forget the 500 Limbaugh.:D

Direct comparison:

7.5" 44 mag SRH VS. 7.5" SRH 454, both box stock, shot back-to-back during the same range session.
The recoil isn't bad if you can handle a 44 well. A stout handload in 44 gave the same felt recoil as factory rounds in the 454. However, as mentioned above, the shockwave through the air was totally different. I've never noticed a shockwave off the 44 before, but with the 454 you FEEL the air move.

Then I shot the owners "bear" loads(he hunts them in Alaska).
Those, my friend, woke me right up!!!!!! In my opinion they were about half again the felt recoil of a factory 44 load. But they were still not as terrible as I'd been lead to think they were. The owner said the friend he hunted with used a raging bull, and the recoil was only about 3/4 of the Ruger with a given load.

I even shot the thing one-handed. No sprains, strains, or dropped gun.

Bottom line: Just make sure you have a firm grip on it, and it'll be just fine.

BTW: Don't forget you can shoot 45 LC in it if you don't want the constant pounding of full power 454 loads.

Ben, Linebaugh himself says that the .475 "Out-Herods Herod" when in comparison to the .500. The .500 needs more case capacity to take advantage of the potential of the heavier bullet.

Quite so, Steve. But the 500 is still well ahead of the 454 I belive. Anyway I only intended to point out that there are several calibers in pistols more powerful than the 454.

BTW: How's your heavy 45 colt load developmet going?

Ben, thanks for understanding that I'm not trying to be "one up" on you.

Things kinda stopped on my .45, if only because I'veen out of town a lot and because I've been practicing a lot for HP. I have a new mold that I haven't even heated up yet...maybe I'll make some of those this weekend and shoot them in another week or so. Its hard to make yourself wait a couple of weeks for the lead to settle, but its supposed to be worth it.

Sorry we're off track here, but I gotta ask.
Let the lead settle?
Is this before or after loading it in the case?
Please enlighten me, as I've started casting my own as well. Any help or advantage would be much appreciated.

Many, many, casters, both hobbyists and commercial, have found that lead will reach its ultimate hardness after about three weeks of storage after cooling. It will stay that way for about a year, then begin to soften again. I figure if I'm trying to find an accurate load, I should do all I can.

I shoot the Taurus 8" like you describe.

The felt recoil is similar to a very hot 357 mag load in a 4" King Cobra, assuming medium 454 loads.

One thing, the Taurus does not like .451 jacketed bullets. Go with .452 hard cast, or pony up for the expensive .452 FA jacketed bullets (which may no longer be available??).

You will find that a 250 gr with 7-8gr Unique is a super mild but very effective plinker. About the same recoil as a 38 special.

You can also boost the push right on up there, but the faster the bullet, the more wrist-twist you get, causing it to hit left of POA. That is at 100 yards and further. Short ranges are a breeze with the long sight radius.

You need to go and hold one for awhile first. I like the grip, others do not.

Back