Taurus Public Defender

TruthTellers

Picked this up and shot it some at the range. Didn't have any .45 Colt or Schofield to try in it, so accuracy is unknown, but I'll get into that later as there's something worth noting about that.

Alright, so first off I'm in the store and I looked it over, shroud wasn't cocked, but it's not on center with the frame. Off maybe .01", but not so much I'm willing to bother sending it back to Taurus and be without it for 2-3 months.

It's a .410 revolver, accuracy isn't the point.

I did see a metal chip or burr hanging by a thread in the bore and I thought about refusing the transfer and sending it back to the retailer, but I decided I didn't want to bother with that. I got to the range and figured I'd shoot a round of .22 Short in the chamber adapter and see if the gas would blow the chip out and if it didn't, I was going to run a brush through it and see if that dislodged it. Didn't need to the .22 Short did blow that chip out.

Lockup is fine, not rock solid, but it's a Judge, accuracy isn't the point. DA trigger is okay if you pull right through, but if you stage the trigger, the last part before it breaks is tough and may hurt your finger. I assume there's a buff causing the issue, but idk. I expect over time it'll get better. Single action is fantastic, better than any Ruger SP101 I've ever felt.

Actually, better than any Ruger DA/SA revolver I've ever felt.

Did shoot some .22 LR in a chamber adapter and it was fun, so I'm gonna buy more and some 9mm ones too. Didn't shoot paper, can't tell what size the "group" was, but I can't wait to try it.

.410 4 pellet 000 buck Federal ammo was really good, I hit 6 or 8 inch plates at 15 yards with it.

For $375, it's not a bad gun. Not perfect, but given it's a .410 revolver, it is what it is. Were this a non .410 revolver tho, I would not have accepted the imperfections.

Now, as for .45 Colt or Schofield ammo, the throats on this are measuring .455" on mine Public Defender, which is WAY too big for typical .452" lead bullets or even old style .454" bullets; the leading will be severely bad. Clearly Taurus expects people will be shooting jacketed bullets, probably JHP's, but I am getting absolutely sick and tired of how so many new revolvers are coming out with throats far too large for shooting lead bullets. As much as that ticks me off with Ruger using .314" throats for .327 revolvers, I get it because that is a very high velocity, high pressure cartridge that will strip lead off the bullet, but this is .45 Colt we're talking about.

Idk, maybe it has something to do with .410 and that needs a large throat or something, but I doubt it. My preferred load is a 250 grain full wadcutter, unfortunately those are only available in .452 diameters, so I'm gonna have to get them unlubed and maybe unsized and polymer coat them so that even if they're a little smaller than the throat, at least they won't lead at the low velocities of .45 Colt or .45 Schofield.

Use it as a .410. I'm sure you've got other better revolvers for launching bullets. Dad has one and I've patterned it with numerous offerings. This is a <20yd gun. If I had to choose between pepper spray, stun guns or the 410, it would win every time. It would not be my choice over my .357's though.

Use it as a .410. I'm sure you've got other better revolvers for launching bullets. Dad has one and I've patterned it with numerous offerings. This is a <20yd gun. If I had to choose between pepper spray, stun guns or the 410, it would win every time. It would not be my choice over my .357's though.
This would be fine with a jacketed bullet, but I don't like being stuck using a jacketed bullet because every revolver manufacturer thinks they need to use oversized cylinder throats. At least with .357 and .38 revolvers, there are bullets that measure out to .359" so they won't having leading issues as they will seal the hot gasses.

Can't say I want to use lead at .357 velocities tho. I'm just at the point now that I'm not buying any new revolvers except maybe the 9mm LCR or something from Magnum Research. I would say Freedom Arms, but I can't afford one.

It's just even when the quality and workmanship is there, there's something else that isn't.

I don't take a micrometer to new guns when I buy them. Just take them to the range and see how they shoot.
My Taurus Public Defender Poly did pretty good right out of the box with Winchester PDX1 45 Colt @10 yards!

I have the S&W Governor. It's not a great shooter with 45 Colt, Schofield or 45 ACP but that's not why I bought it. With the .410 #4 Buck in it, it will get the job done as a home defense gun. It may not kill the perp but it will darn sure give me the upper hand and that's all I need.

So, that said, I think the marketing on both guns that place it's primary and secondary application as carry and home defense to be correct. Target is a bit of a stretch but recreation isn't because they're fun to shoot for sure.

Mine has it's home in the nightstand safe and I think if you buy one of these .410 revolvers, that's probably the best place for it. I no longer have to run to the bedroom and put the Benelli away when guests stop by unexpectedly.

^ Really about the only place for a .410 revolver, I can't imagine carrying them, but with how small the Public Defender is compared to other similar revolvers it's more doable.

If I had the choice tho, I would rather have one of those ultra rare Heritage .410 revolvers mainly because I feel the single action style grip has a better feel to it for the stout recoil and also because I could use 9mm adapters and the ejection function would be no different when using the ejector rod.

^ Really about the only place for a .410 revolver
Or, as mine is used most of the time. Loaded with three Federal Premium Handgun 000 buck up first, followed by two 45 Colt Winchester PDX1 Hollowpoints. In a cheap, but very well fitting Crosman Airsoft holster strapped to the seatbelt in my truck. Particular when traveling late, or known bad areas.
"OK Mr carjacker, let me release my seatbelt so I can get out....BANG"

Back