Taurus PT92 vs Ruger P85/89

TruthTellers

I started thinking about the Ruger P series recently as I'm on both a DA/SA fad and non polymer frame fad. I have my Glocks and like them, but have been looking at the PT92 due to its price and heavier steel frame to soak up recoil. I know the Ruger is cast Aluminum, but it's still a heavy gun.

Both pistols I believe hold 15 rounds, both are metal framed, both are heavier than polymer, and both are DA/SA. The biggest difference is the Ruger's have been out of production for many years now and Taurus still makes the 92, so that means magazines are going to be more available for the Taurus.

How difficult is it to get mags for the Ruger P series pistols including the P90? I'm currently looking at maybe thinking about possibly getting a P90 as well.

Between the two, which do you think is a better pistol for someone to buy? Not looking to carry either, just range use and maybe home defense if I find they shoot well.

Last edited:
Well PT92 is a defacto Beretta M92 clone, Ruger P series are excellent firearms too, you might be able to find a P89 with a 30 Luger conversion barrel and recoil spring as well.

Last edited:
The PT92 is the best pistol Taurus makes...been that way a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The PT92 and PT99 (PT92 with adjustable sights) are fine firearms. Neither choice (PT92 or P Series) is a 'bad' choice. See which one fits your hand better. See if you can shoot both for a better comparison.

I started thinking about the Ruger P series recently as I'm on both a DA/SA fad and non polymer frame fad. I have my Glocks and like them, but have been looking at the PT92 due to its price and heavier steel frame to soak up recoil. I know the Ruger is cast Aluminum, but it's still a heavy gun.

Both pistols I believe hold 15 rounds, both are metal framed, both are heavier than polymer, and both are DA/SA. The biggest difference is the Ruger's have been out of production for many years now and Taurus still makes the 92, so that means magazines are going to be more available for the Taurus.

How difficult is it to get mags for the Ruger P series pistols including the P90? I'm currently looking at maybe thinking about possibly getting a P90 as well.

Between the two, which do you think is a better pistol for someone to buy? Not looking to carry either, just range use and maybe home defense if I find they shoot well.

Hmmm. "Pick one". I'd lean towards the Taurus, just because of its similarity to the Beretta and that it's currently made.

Have a P90, might sell it off some day. I seldom shoot it, and almost no-one makes the sort of holster I'd want to get, if I were to carry it.

PT92 due to its price and heavier steel frame to soak up recoil

The PT92 has an aluminum frame.

The Ruger P series are discontinued. I would lean towards the PT92 or 99 for that reason, for trigger springs, recoil springs, extractors and extractor springs, magazines, firing pins and springs.

See which one fits your hand better.
Great advice from blchandl2.

P89 mags are readily available. Mec Gar makes them and they are of high quality. P89, P93, & PC 9 use the same mags.

Ruger vs. Taurus..... NO CONTEST Ruger wins.

FWIW I own a P89. I have fed it 10's of thousands of rounds including lots of surplus NATO spec ammo which is usually +P+ by SAAMI standards. The P89 is a beast.

Tough call.

On one hand, I personally like the Taurus PT92 better, being essentially a Beretta 92 with a safety/decocker in a more convenient location, and actually having a good track record for reliability.
However, Ruger has the best customer service in the business whereas Taurus is among the worst, so if something goes wrong, you can be sure that they'll take care of it post haste unlike Taurus.

So it really depends. If you have the means to examine the Taurus in person and even shoot it to confirm reliability/function, then I would be more inclined to go for the PT92, but otherwise it might be a better idea to go with the Ruger.

Personally though, I've had nothing but positive experiences with Taurus, between my family and I, there are a total of 5 Taurus brand firearms in this household and they've all functioned flawlessly, so I'd be willing to roll the dice with the PT92 regardless so long as the price was right.

Oh, also, modern PT92s actually come with 17 rounds magazines and said magazines are compatible with all PT92s.

It is a tough decision.

I own 2 Ruger P95s and still use them on occasion. Those are fine and durable guns. Magazines are easy to find just about anywhere.

I did own a Taurus 92 but did sell it for another Taurus pistol. The reason why for the sale was due to the grip being too large for my small hands. The Ruger fits better in that department. I did try to remedy the too large grip problem but did not succeed at it. There 92 was reliable.

Taurus is now offering a 92 with a " retro look" but has 17 round mags versus the old 15 round ones it used to have.

If it matters, the P85 had a safety recall. To determine if it was sent back, it should have MKIIR on or around the safety levers somewhere. Also, if the side of the frame has been shaved, it was likely a model that was scrubbed- having the "US GOV'T Property" removed.

I'm pretty sure Ruger does not provide any service to guns that are no longer in production.
Ruger made a significant policy change some years ago. Up until that point, they had maintained a huge stock of parts for the guns they had made so they could provide support for them.

Then, all of the sudden, I started seeing a glut of Ruger parts on the market for very low prices. I bought a lot of parts, but I didn't fully understand what was going on or I would have bought more. The prices were very good and if I had fully grasped the situation I would have really stocked up.

Then, not too long after that, I started hearing people say that Ruger was no longer supporting some of the older models because they didn't have parts and it all made sense.

They sold off the parts to get out of the support business and then blamed the lack of parts for their inability to support some models.

I used to be a huge Ruger fan, but I have to say that decision on their part has really dampened my enthusiasm for Ruger products.

Ruger made a significant policy change some years ago. Up until that point, they had maintained a huge stock of parts for the guns they had made so they could provide support for them.

Then, all of the sudden, I started seeing a glut of Ruger parts on the market for very low prices. I bought a lot of parts, but I didn't fully understand what was going on or I would have bought more. The prices were very good and if I had fully grasped the situation I would have really stocked up.

Then, not too long after that, I started hearing people say that Ruger was no longer supporting some of the older models because they didn't have parts and it all made sense.

They sold off the parts to get out of the support business and then blamed the lack of parts for their inability to support some models.

I used to be a huge Ruger fan, but I have to say that decision on their part has really dampened my enthusiasm for Ruger products.
That's a pretty low thing to do and of course doing that would mostly affect out of production models like the P series pistols, Security Six, and various rifles.

I can see the reason for the lack of interest in the RAP pistol now, with Ruger, they seem to introduce and drop semi auto pistol designs pretty quickly.

Magazine availability for either is pretty good. There are a ton of OE Ruger mags for the the P85/89 out there if you look for them. I'm pretty sure you can modify Beretta 92 mags to fit the Taurus PT92 by filing slots in the magazine if for some reason you couldn't find PT92 mags. But both magazines are literally everywhere.

Back