Taurus PT22?

Curley

Has anyone out there had experience with these little pistols? I know they're very similar to the little Beretta .22 mouse guns, except that the Tauruses are double-action only. I'm not crazy about DAO, but the Taurus is considerably less expensive than the Beretta.

Any input would be appreciated.

I've owned two; still have one. They're pretty good pistols, but they're picky about ammo. Taurus warns against using hypervelocity ammo. Mine works best with Remington Cyclone HPs and Winchester PowerPoints. Accuracy is very good for a pocket pistol.

Picked up my PT22 after meeting some L.E. using them as back-ups.

Carrying it for five years now; needed a few hundred rds for break-in, but 100% since using W-W Super-X HV HP (X22LRH1).

No troubles encountered. Pull, shoot, put away. Occasionally take out of holster and blow the dust bunnies out of it.

Bought a PT-22 shortly after they became available. I put
less than 100 rds. through it when the barrel hinge pin
broke. Sent it back to Taurus and they sent me back a whole
new gun. Very impressed with their customer service, I took
the pistol out, shot it, and the same thing happened. Sent
it back and again they sent me a new gun. Took it out to
shoot and had many misfires and the slide failed to go into
battery several times. Sent it back and they sent me a new
gun. Took it out and the barrel hinge pin broke again.
Called taurus and for the broken gun and $30 they sent me
a Taurus 85CH. Beautiful little gun, functions perfectly,
all's well that ends well. This was several years ago and
in fairness to Taurus they showed great customer service
and did their level best to make things right. However
I don't understand why companies release new designs for
sale that they must know are faulty. People's lives might
be riding on the functionality of these guns. Does nothing
for the credibility of the firearms industry.

Picky about ammo is right. Bought one for my wife to learn on. Ran a couple of hundred rounds of 6 different brands of ammo through it and it failed to extract 80% of the time. Sent it back to Taurus for overhaul. When returned it worked swimmingly when using ammo (std and HV) which used light, oily lubricant. Ammo that used the waxy type of lube failed to extract a few times a box. The light lube worked flawlessly. Now I'm to the stage of breaking it in.

I've had one for about 5 years now, and to this point I've put about 2,200 rounds through it. I can tell because I shoot Winchester Wildcat out of it, and I'm working on my 5th 500-round brick.

The ONLY failures of ANY kind I have had with it were with 2 boxes of CCI ammo. About 50% of the time or so the first trigger pull wouldn't fire the round, but the second would.

With the Winchester Wildcat ammo, however, it has been 100% reliable. There have been no failures to fire, no failures to extract, no failures to feed.

My hinge pin has shown remarkable durability. :)

A few months ago a friend and I put approximately 600 rounds through it without cleaning. Not a single failure of any type.

When I got it one of the first things I did to it was to thin and contour the wood grips considerably. They were just way too blocky & uncomfortable. Now it fits my hand very well, and is a great little gun.

I carried mine as my primary CCW firearm for nearly 4.5 years, only recently retiring it in favor of my S&W 042, which I got just a couple of months ago.

I still carry it occasionally when I need a very, very small gun.

Bought one. Took it to the range with three brands of ammo. Failed to extract about half the time with two of the three. The third would stovepipe every round. Loading any more than five rounds in the magazine would cause FTF with EVERY round. What a pile of crap.

Taurus 38's are fine. Their Full sized (PT-92's) have all been good to me. Their 44's, 454's, Millenium's, and 22/25 pistols have never impressed me.

My experience with Beretta has been pretty good. Had a 3032 with a broken barrel spring once, but other than that their QC appears good.

I have had mine for at least 5 years now and its been great since brken in. Very nice trigger from the begining.

I've had really good luck with mine compared to some it seems. Really accurate for such an inexpensive gun too. Surprises me everytime I shoot it. Very reliable with the right ammo as well.

A frend has one that broke its firing pin at #? of rounds. (less than 1000 anyway) Taurus put a new slide assy on the gun FOC, and since has been fine.

The newer style checkered grip panels are really blocky. Mine has the old smooth style I think are much more comfortable.

What else can I say. It's a really fun gun for a low buck price that comes with a company that stands behind it. I have no plans to get rid of mine.

Good luck,
SM

Back