Taurus PT22? any comments appreciated

Blue Duck357

Thinking about picking up one of these little guns because I really don't have anything in the "mouse gun" category. Anyone have any exp. with these little (and fairly cheap) pistols. I'm mainly interested in reliability and if it's reasonably accurate for what it is?

By the way I've shot the smallest Walther .22 (TPH?) and bleed like a stuck pig with every shot (Walther bite) anyone have the same problem with the Taurus?

Thanks for any help, Blue Duck

BlueDuck,

I've got one of these little guns. For quite some time it was my primary carry piece in the summer. I was carrying it last night, as a matter of fact.

Mine has been very very reliable. Not a single failure to feed in over 2,200 rounds. There have been some failures to fire, but ONLY with a couple of boxes of CCI Blazer .22s. The first strike would fail to set the round off, the second invariable would fire it.

With Winchester Wildcat, though, it has been 100% reliable.

Thanks Mike, if you don't mind me asking what kind of accuracy were you getting? and did you notice any key-holeing from the short barrel?

I also had a PT-22 blue/gold deluxe that always went bang too.I bought a couple of the mag extenders also...they keep your pinky on the gun,which means better accuracy.

Good little gun. Accuracy from 10 yards or so is outstanding. Just be careful what you shoot in it. Stingers are a good carry round but it might not stand up to a steady diet of them. I split the slide on mine with just three rounds of that hot Aguila stuff and would also stay away from Quick Shoks. I've put hundreds of rounds through mine and have never noticed it keyholing. Good gun for the price.

Revolver for .22

You should consider the Taurus 94SSUL, an ultra-lite in stainless steel. Holds 9 .22 LR. Weighs 18 oz. I think this is a better hunk of metal than the Taurus .22, although more expensive. You should be able to find one for around $300. There are speed-loaders for it.

Drakejake

Duck,

It shoots to the right a bit (1 to 2 inches), but with the Wildcats is OK vertically.

Firing as fast as I can at 10 yards I can normally cover all 8 shots with my hand.

Drake, already have a ruger single six (which I love) and a SW (way way pre-boycott) model 18 (which I would love if I ever found some grips I liked on it) for my revolver needs. But the 94's have always looked good to me.

Thanks for all the comments, I love this board. You can spot a gun you like and get owner commnets the same day instead of sitting around "researching" your purchase through gun magazines that only have praise for any piece of junk whose maker will buy an ad from them

Thanks, Blue Duck

I would recommend the .25ACP over the .22LR for reliability anyday... especially in a "mouse gun." Chances are, you WILL have more dud's in a 22LR. There are LOTS of posts about this very topic concerning the Beretta Jetfire vs. Bobcat vs Taurus PT-22/25. Please do your research concerning the reliability advantages of one caliber over the other because they DO exist. If it's simply a plinker, get what you want.

Ben

My wife has one. A blue/gold deluxe model. It had pearlesent white grips. I personally don't like it much. I was unaware when she bought it that it's not designed in a manner that allows the slide to lock open after the last round is fired. I find this troubling in a semi-auto in general, and in a rim fire particularly. If one does not carefully count one shots EVERY time, one may pull the trigger on a empty chamber. Firing pins are more likely to break in this rim fire when "dry fired". Right now our pt22 is sitting in our safe sans grips. The last two pair cracked after less than 200 rounds were fired through it. We are waiting on the third pair to arrive from Taurus. For a mouse gun, I much prefer my little P32 Kel-Tec. Whatever you decide, have fun and Good Shooting!
Daddycat

Daddycat, I've always heard the pearl grips are for posing not shooting for exactly that reason.

I know it's off topic but can you let me know the source of your tagline? Sounds great for a report I'm writing for my agency that's starting to sway with every breeze.

Thnaks, Blue Duck

My PT-22 likes Winchester Super-X HPs and PowerPoints. I've had nary a jam or misfire with those rounds. It does NOT like Quik-Shoks or Federal HPs.

Ben,

I've got 2,200+ rounds of Winchester Wildcat through my Taurus TP22.

To date, with the Wildcat...

ZERO jams.

ZERO failures to feed.

ZERO failures to fire.

ZERO failures to extract.

The only problems I've had was using some CCI Blazer. About 50% or so didn't want to fire on the first trigger pull. The second did the job.

Solution?

Switch back to Winchester Wildcat.

Mike, sorry. I figured it was implied that there will ALWAYS be exceptions. I know a guy who absolutely loves his Phoenix Arms 22 and says he's NEVER had a problem with it. Go figure! There's no doubt that the problems that DO occur with 22's are typically AMMO-related in that the design and location of the primer are the culprit. With reliable ammo, they're just as good... maybe better. I just think there is more .22LR problem-ammo than there is .25ACP problem-ammo. And when there's problem-ammo, there's a problem gun.

Thanx for letting me clarify.
take care,
Ben

Ben,

Sorry, not taking you to task for anything.

Well, maybe a little...

I really think that the day of "revolvers are more reliable than semis" and everything is more reliable than a .22 semi-auto are really over for the most part. The same with the ammo.

I've had more ammo-related failures to fire with centerfire ammo in the past 5 years than I have had with rimfire ammo.

I truly think a lot of the conventional wisdom has gone out the window...

Few years back I was hanging at a not-so-local gunshop, and two plainclothes came in. Chatting ensued, and I found BOTH detectives wore PT22's as a back-up.

So I went and bought one.

After a short break-in period, which I used to find the gun's preferred ammo (W-W Super-X HP), it has been my constant 'always' or 'off-body always'. It has been 100% reliable, and that's even after it's been shot while still full of the dust bunnies serious small carry guns collect.
As for accuracy, I don't care. It can be emptied in no time into the center-of-target at 5-10 yds, and that's really all I want (head shots at sixty yards will be taken with one of more serious guns LOL).

Buy.

Ben,

They're fun little guns, no doubt about it.

But they're not exactly something to take to the range for an afternoon of target plinking.

That's why I've got a Browning Buckmark coming in the next week or so.

And, when you get right down to it, they're not much for personal defense, either. They're better than your bare hands, but...

Even realizing that, I carried one almost exclusively for 3 years, and still do when it's hot & humid out.

Now that I have an S&W Airweight that might change a little, though.

Hi BlueDuck,
I'm the author of " A rigid investment in flexability is but another closed system of thinking " In another life I functioned as a therapist. At one time in the field I specialized in, 'Flexabile' had become a buzzword. The mindset of being flexable had become desirable, regardless as I perceived it,whether or not the issue at hand merited flexability. The mindset of flexability for flexability's sake alone precluded critical thinking skills. The idea of closed systems of thinking was introduced to me in Undergraduate school. The course was Adult Development and the textbook the instructor used was "The Evolving Self" written by Robert Kegan. This goes back aways :). I hope this wasn't more information than you wanted to know!
Daddycat

Daddycat, not a bit too much, just that the quote may not have the same effect with "as stated by Daddycat" :D My main influence has been Robert Wubbolding's "Reality Therapy for the 21'st Century" great book, very nice guy. He told me that the most important thing for a author in his field to have was not education or exp., but strong arms. When I questioned why he said it was because you had to carry as many books as possible around with you on the lecture circuit to sell.

Sorry for OT, I'm outta here!

regards, Blue Duck

Back