Taurus PT 22 range report (long)

Blue Duck357

I promised this to a couple of folks over a month ago (dealer promises :rolleyes: ) but here it is if anyones still interested.

I was a bit disapointed when I first picked up the PT, it was in a plastic sack in the Taurus box literally dripping wet with oil. I have not seen any firearm so soaked with protectant since I bought a Yugo model 48. Did the dumbest thing I could think of due to limited time and wiped the outside off, pushed a patch through barrel and went shooting.

Fired 50 rounds of Winchester Wildcat and 100 of Federal Lightning first time out. No jams, but at least 20 failure to fire's on the first strike, all but two fired on the second try. Although the front sight was serated it was still so shiny I could not get anything close to a good sight picture. I could actually see the relection of sky on the ramp when trying to sight in on the target (was a very bright day). Accuarcy work out of the question, reliability problems, and my hand dripping wet with the black oil ozing from the gun,I just gave up and went home mad.

That night I field stripped the PT and cleaned it with Simple Green Automotive (first time I've had to do that on a new gun!). Lightly oiled what needed oiled, hit the front sight with sandpaper then painted it with blaze orange Loreal nail polish, removed the finger rest from the mag (it made it to big for a pocket gun) and got ready for tommorow.

I'm not sure how much of it was cleaning or how much was break'in from yesterday, but I'm now thrilled with my new little gun! Just had one failure to fire (went off with the second pull) in 50 rounds of Winchester Wildcats, but went a full 200 rounds of Remington Target and 50 of Federal lightning without a single bobble. For no bench, no bags, not even a rest, just the Duck standing in a field blasting away at paper plates, accuarcy seemed outstanding. I had no trouble at all keeping all 9 shots on the plates at 40 yards (good for me). Shooting at 15 yards groups were scary good, frankly better than I usually do with my 4 inch K-22 or 4 3/4 Single Six which are much larger guns with better sight radius. I shoot a tad better with my Ruger Mk II with 5 1/2" bull barrel, but not by much!

In short I'm now thrilled with the little gun. I think it'll get a lot of use plinking and carrying a bit when I can't get by with a "real" gun. The trigger pull is fairly similar to my new Glock 23 (just a tad longer) and may help me improve my shooting with the 40. $180 well spent so far.

Sorry to be so long winded (I need an editor), Blue Duck

Nice post! I've been having a blast with my PT22. I've now tried all sorts of ammo in it to see what is the most accurate. I've been warned not to use any "hyper velocity" ammo as it's too stout. My shoots best with Winchester "wildcat" or the ultra cheap Winchester "Xpert" 22 hollow points. The only thing not going my way is the wimpy .22 shotshell made by CCI won't extract od feed. I live in snake country where it would be nice to have a couple of shotshells ready. Oh well.

Back