Taurus PT-22 Firing Multiple Rounds

Hi everyone!

I don't know much about firearms, I've been shooting since I was a kid but don't know much about how they work.

I've had a Taurus PT-22 for a few years and haven't shot it much, the last time I shot it was over a year ago. When I took it to the range the other day, I noticed it was firing multiple rounds per trigger pull. Sometimes it just shoots 1, sometimes 2, sometimes 3, and sometimes 4 per trigger pull. It seems to most often shoot 2 or 3. The rounds go off in such quick succession that it sounds like just 1 round is firing unless you listen really closely. I'm definitely not pulling the trigger multiple times, and the time I hold the trigger down doesn't seem to affect the number of rounds fired. I fired about 100 rounds out of it and nothing seems out of the ordinary except for the multiple rounds per trigger pull issue.

Anyone know what could be going wrong with it and if it's potentially dangerous to the shooter?

Have a smith, look at it !!!

KumaKhameleon
I believe this is called "chain-firing" there is a mechanical issue. How old is it and when was the last time, you cleaned it? I have a pistol that does this. Cleaning didn't get it and now, it needs to go to a smith. ..... :rolleyes:

You may want to have this thread, moves to the "smithy" section ????

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Stop shooting it. Could be a few different things. A broken firring pin that is staying protruded at times could be one. Another could be peening of the chamber face. That second one sounds weird I know. I had a PT22PLY that had two "strange" bumps on the breech face when new. Said bumps got flattened after 4-500 rounds, but not before they peened the chamber face, moving metal in towards where the cartridge rim would be. On mine the peening stopped, but if those "strange" bumps were larger, it could have moved the metal on the chamber face into the cartridge rim causing slam fires.

Clean it. Your firing pin is probably stuck, due to lube getting gummy and sticky, from sitting in the safe.
What do you use for cleaning and lubrication?

Back