Taurus model 980 SS finish question

Wondabread

Inactive
I recently acquired a Taurus model 980 .22lr. The gun is in great shape except for one large scratch on the right side of the gun.

In order to remove the scratch I was hoping to not have to blast it, but I think that hope is gone. I tried a green scotch brite pad, which didn't match. I then tried 180 grit sandpaper, which just started to make it look like it was being polished.

My question is what type of media should I use and at what PSI would be recommended to start at to match the finish?

I was going to call Taurus today and ask what they use for this guns finish, but I doubt anyone will actually know the answer.

ANcdvS

My picture is too big to attach and my flickr link doesn't seem to be linking correctly. https://flic.kr/p/ANcdvS
Thanks all.

Last edited:
You'll have to get that blasted with a fine medium, to get that to match, as no polishing will match it. You'll just see scratches from the abrasive by trying to sand or buff it out..

I would use 120 and 240 grit cloth to get the scratch out, then have it blasted.

I was flipping through a magazine this morning and saw there was a lawsuit/buyback on some Taurus models. I don't recall which ones, I don't own any so I really did not pay attention to the details.

I have a Ruger that has a scratch and I read somewhere that Ruger will blue a gun, but I cant send it in cause I dont have a box...

:rolleyes:

Back