Taurus Model 65 "Spitting"

BigBL87

Hey guys, will soon have my first revolver, a Taurus Model 65 circa 1990. I was out visiting family in Nebraska, and since I have become a gun enthusiast the uncle I stayed with showed me his gun collection. While we were going through it, he took out an old Taurus Model 65, and told me my grandfather had used it when he worked security "back in the day" after he retired from the smelting industry, and that he thought I should have it. I was ecstatic of course, not only getting my first revolver but also one with some family history. So, hopefully I should get it next week as I had to work out a transfer to my FFL back in IL.

So, background out of the way, my uncle said he meant to send it back to Taurus but never got around to it. He said he hasn't shot it much, but that when he did he got alot of "spitting" back from the cylinder, gasses and what he thought were metal shavings (guessing lead and/or copper?). Sending it back to Taurus is fine by me, but are there any other things I might try to troubleshoot it before I send it back? I know next to nothing about revolvers, so I don't know what to look for, he said he thought it was a timing issue.

Last edited:
Taurus Model 65 "Spitting"

i sent back two taurus revolvers that my brother gifted to me out of frustration. one had an off center barrel & the other had off kilter cylinder timing. both came back fine after a couple of months. the 38 became a ccw piece, the 357 became a safe queen as it is heavy and dao. only downside was $60 each for shipping to miami. taurus checked them all out in addition to the problems that i described. you will be happy with your refurbished taurus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check where the firing pin strike is hitting on the fired primers. If it is consistently off center that may indicate a timing problem. Check if the cylinder has any forward/rearward slop and what size the gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone is. Some blow back from a heavy caliber revolver is not unusual. I have shot several different brands over the years and that has been my experience.

Of the many Taurus guns I've sold over the years, we have only had one issue that was sent in. It was with a pt-25 semi auto. They had it back to us(a pawn shop) in 6 days and paid shipping both ways. It was an easy experience. That being said, I've read of other sending theirs in and the firearm couldn't be repaired for whatever reason and they sent a new firearm without consult. No idea about yours, but just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Likely bad timing.
On Taurii revolvers, it's usually a bad hand and/or locking pawl spring.
A competent gunsmith can replace one or both for a minimal fee.

That being said, I've read of other sending theirs in and the firearm couldn't be repaired for whatever reason and they sent a new firearm without consult.
Taurus did that to my father.
He bought a brand new blued (5-shot) J-frame clone, got it home, and found that timing was off and the barrel was crooked.
Sent it in to Taurus, and it took over a year before they sent back a totally different, polished nickel, 7-shot piece of garbage, along with a letter claiming that that was the best they could do. The replacement, aside from being completely the wrong model, was even worse than the one that he sent in for repair.

Back