Taurus Model 44

wmg1299

I have a .44 MAG Marlin lever gun, and have been thinking of picking up a .44 MAG revolver. The Taurus Model 44 is about ½ the price of a Ruger or S&W. I have seen very mixed reviews concerning Taurus products. This isn’t a gun that I plan to put thousands of rounds through, but I also am not looking to throw away $400 on a gun that doesn’t work. I see plenty of people stating that the Taurus they bought 20 years ago runs flawlessly. If anyone has any experience with modern Model 44’s, I’d appreciate learning their take on the reliability of current Taurus revolvers. I’ll have to save up for awhile to get an S&W, but am willing to do it if current Model 44’s are junk.

I have seen very mixed reviews concerning Taurus products.

I will bet the replies you get here will also be mixed. No they are not junk. Is there quality control as good as some , probably not .

I feel a lot of their bad rep comes from their Customer service. Although I haven't tried it lately , the two revolvers I sent back back had long wait times.One was repaired properly and one wasn't. It was very hard to communicate with anyone to even get a reply that they received my gun.Again this was several years back.

The 44 mag I have is their Raging Bull model. After the initial problem was resolved (by me) It has worked flawlessly. Very accurate and has a a surprisingly good trigger. With the weight, comp barrel, and the stock grips it is the softest shooting 44 I have ever fired.

With the S&W you would have a better finished gun. It would have a better resale value if that is a concern. I would handle both as much as possible . Shoot both if you can.

When I bought my first 22 revolver I had to chose between a H&R that I had the cash for or a S&W K 22 that I would have had to save for. I still have that H&R and it has worked for over 40 years, but not getting that Smith still haunts me to this day. :(

Great looking revolver at a good price. I have looked at a lot of reviews over time on the 44 and most are very good.

Back