Taurus Millennium

zorba

Anyone have any experience with either the Taurus PT-111 9mm or the PT-140 40 cal.S&W? Gun dealers I frequent are pushing them as an economical alternative to a Glock 26 and 27. Let me know what you think about these two and how they compare against their competition.

take it from some one who made the mistake of buying one (pt140)spend a little more money and get a glock ,sig,hk but not the millenium mine went back 2 times for firing pin problems before i got rid of it also had prob w/ the slide working right , the trigger,clip talked to leo friend who works at a local shop he told me they wont order any more in because of all the prob. he told me they also have disassembly prob. also while i was at the shop i put a deposit on a glock 32 357 sig if you stick w/ a n big name manufacture youll get a good gun you can rely on . good luck

They are junk. My favorite gun dealer carries all the Taurus pistols except for the millennium line. They had way too many customers with problems.

Lifetime warranty - Not!!!

I can't speak to that particular model, but I bought a .38 back in October that had a 50% failure to fire rate out of the box. I have sent it back to Taurus three times since then and they still haven't fixed it, the last time the only thing that they did was saturate it with gun oil and ship it back to me saying they couldn't find a problem. I like the look of their guns and they make some good models, but I just bought a Berreta 92 instead of their PT 99 model paying a hundered dollars more because I will not run the risk of having their repair department work on a firearm that I might have to trust with my life.

Repeat after me, Buy a Glock 26. I bought a p-111 for my wife about 6 months ago thinking it would be a good inexpensive gun. Turned out to be a POS. On the third shot it jammed and out of about every 10 shots after that it still jammed. To make the story short I sold it at a gun show and bought a glock 26. Buy a glock and you will never regret it.

I too had to learn the hard way. The only good thing I can say about the PT-140 in that after selling it at a loss I got a G-27 and havent looked back. Get a real gun. There are plenty good ones out there, Kahrs, Kimbers, Sigs, H+Ks.
I thought I was saving a little $$, at the time I thought liked the idea of a manual safety, Taurus does make an attractive line but stay away from this one. BTW has anyone else notice that the safety on those things is vary loose and prone to come off? Taurus couldnt fix it.

Considering the fact that the Millenium's trigger weight could be measured in metric tons using only whole numbers, I have to believe that the inclusion of a manual safety on these pistols at all was solely for political/liability reasons. Any trigger that is that difficult to pull on purpose is unlikely to be tripped by accident. :D

The Millennium is certainly a nice looking gun. I was interested in them when they came out. I had the dealer disassemble it and he could not get it back together. Every time I saw one at a shop or show, I'd ask the dealer to take it down and he could reassemble it without jamming. Not a confidence builder.

Perhaps the new titaniums have solved the problem, I haven't seen one yet. It's always a good idea before purchasing any firearm - have the seller take it down and reassemble so you can examine the works and, of course, detect any problems.

I respectfully disagree with those who dislike the Taurus Millenium . The Taurus Milleniums I shot have been above average quality IMO. I don't own a Taurus (I buy from the top quality manufactures), but the Taurus Milleniums I have rented have all been nice guns for the price. Would I buy one? NO (money is not a concern with me). But, if you can't afford the Glocks, HK's, Rugers, Berettas, or Sigs then the Millenium is a GOOD low price alternative. Don't discount a Taurus Millenium IF IT IS ALL YOU CAN AFFORD.

Respectively disagree with your disagreement

Q - I respectively disagree with you on your disagreement<GRIN>. Money is an object with me and I choose a Taurus because it was 100.00 less than the equivilent Ruger, after having the gun for 3 months (actually I have only had it for a couple of weeks the factory has had it for the rest of the time). Knowing what I know now, I would have gladly paid the extra 100.00 for a gun that was reliable. The problem that Taurus is experiencing right now is inconsistent quality control (both in manufacturing and repair), if you buy a Taurus you might very well get a fantastic gun for a good price, but on the other hand you might not and there is simply no way to tell. Since I started sharing my ordeal with people on the boards I have received quite a few replies that have gone both ways, people who have been extremely happy with their purchase and never had a problem and people who have had to send their guns back to the factory multiple times (3 so far from me)in an attempt to get them repaired. The replies have been about evenly split between the two categories, in my opinion that ratio is far too high for a person that is having trouble scraping up the cash for the purchase in the first place. Based on my experience I just bought a Beretta 92 instead of the Taurus PT99, it has less features, it costs 100.00 more, but the chances of getting a firearm that will go bang when I pull the trigger are much greater.

Poorly designed knock-off...

"take it from some one who made the mistake of buying one (pt140)spend a little more money and get a glock ,sig,hk but not the millenium..."

Or spend a little less and get the pistol that Taurus unsuccessfully tried to copy: The Kel-Tec P-11/P-40.

zorba...

hello... take a look at the republic arms "patriot" in .45 acp... i have one which i use as a light duty carry weapon... light... easy to conceal... and it works... i only have a few hundred rounds through mine... but it seems fine... worth a look... and on the street? around $250...

good luck...

regards... v.

I guess I have been lucky. My PT111 has functioned without any problems at all. I must admit that the trigger pull took some getting use to. For the purpose that I purchased it for (self defense), it has filled the bill and I like having the external safety on the slide. This gun has had about 1000 rnds put through it so far with various brands and types of ammo and has not had one failure to fire.

When it comes to just plain target plinking, I definitely prefer my SW 5906 but again, for the purpose it was purchased for, the PT111 was been just what I was looking for. I carry the Taurus when the 5906 just can't be concealed by my clothing well enough. The Taurus works well in my ankle holster as it is light and not bulky. After getting use to the trigger, I have no problem with accuracy either.

The trigger is like dragging a piano over gravel, but its not important considering this guns mission.
In its area of operations, its a good unit. Last year's SHOT I saw a Titanium .45ACP version. I am waiting until this is released to the public... I will buy one.

I have a PT111 9mm and the trigger is horendous and long. Accuracy suffers because of it. Reliable, once broken in. They are tough to reassemble. It took me a couple of trys to get it together again, but once you discover the proper way, it gets easier. There are better guns and my PT111 wasn't cheap at $330, but less than a Glock. When I grab a 9mm for my pocket I still choose my Kahr E9 to slip in my pocket even though it is heavier but slimmer. You need to decide.........Mike

Back