Taurus M85 .38 Special

aggiejrc

Howdy all.

My question is about this revolver. Do ya'll favor this revolver? This is the only revolver i am considering for several reasons, and money isn't one of them. It will be a gift to my brother. Now, what can you tell me about it? Is the trigger usually good out of box? How about the grips? Anything ya'll think will be relevant about this gun. I suppose my bro will use it for home defense, plinking, and any other things that he will use it for. Thanks for your help.

Don't really like the titanium models, not very pretty to me.

Aggiejrc

Taurus M85 are cool guns. Both of mine have performed perfectly. I got a Titanium model and a Stainless model. I love the grips and the overall size and feel of the gun. No complaints whatsoever....

my2taurus38s.jpg

Well.....From personal experience I can say that the trigger is nothing special, and the two finger grip is a mixed blessing. The small rubber grip is a soft rubber, making it comfortable and "grippy",but cloth sticks to it. Don't plan on pulling it out of your front pocket in a big hurry. And the dangling pinky finger lets the gun jump around when you shoot it.

Someone will be along in a minute to tell you all about the evil key lock, ignore him.

All that said, I really like the M85. Very small and concealable. Well built and light weight. But I wouldn't use it for home defense or plinking. It's made for concealment. Home defense and plinking both call for a larger gun that is easier to aim and control.

Just don't get one and put larger grips on it. Defeats the purpose. If your brother won't be happy with a two finger grip, look at a different model or brand.

First Taurus = Last Taurus

Purchased my first Taurus in mid-April, a Model 85 Ultralite titanium and it has now spent the first three weeks of ownership back at the factory. The cylinder was scraping against the barrel and the finish on the front sight was defective.

They promised to rush it and have it back to me in two weeks, but now it has been three and they haven't even looked at it. Taurus customer service says the repair folks are very backed up and that it will be at least another week and a half.

I know others out there have had good luck with Taurus, but...my first Taurus will be my last Taurus.

I've had three of the Model 85's: 2 Stainless and 1 multialloy.
I had no problem with either stainless gun (however, I'd bought one of the two stainless ones for my mother....didn't shoot it much).
I had a problem with light strikes with the multi-alloy revolver. This was squared away by the factory in a two or three week turnaround.
No problems since...
The 85 multi-alloy (aka Ultralite) is my most carried CCW.

I've owned 5 or 6 Taurus revolvers...3 currently. I had trouble with two (including that described above).
I like them....think they're nice guns and a hell of a value.

I own the M85 in blued steel. I have around 500 rounds thru it with only two problems. I recently experienced hard primers on two rounds from Corbon. I firmly believe this was ammo related because everything else I have shot thru it has given me no problems. Has a very smooth action. Great buy in my book.

Had the 85 undercover. It was great. Trigger beat my smith out of the box, nice selection of aftermarket grips/holsters, and accurate. My cylinder gap got pretty tight when I finally traded it. Overall, a positive response.

Good guns

I've owned 2 M85 Taurus, one with the hammer spur and currently a CH version both blue steel. Both have been good shooters, I replaced the stock grips with Uncle Mikes boot grips easy to control and conceal.

Regardless of the price the Taurus revolvers are tough to beat, toss in generally being cheaper than other makers and they're even better.

John
http://www.handloads.com

Mod 85

One thing Taurus will do is back their guns. Also I saw a Mod 85 with over 50,000 documented rounds through it and NO problems, but that is just one gun. I notice someone also had a problem with one gun and now bashes the entire line. Such logic isn't very sound. Note the other posts of praise. Any maker can have a problem. I've had problems with about all of the current makers.
I had a S&W Model 19 with no rifling in the barrel and that was during S&W's good days.
If you get a Model 85 get the three incher. Reduces recoil and blast enough to make the extra inch worth it.

I have an M85 Ultralight (not titanium). It's OK for concealed carry and reliable, but in no way is it a target gun. I also have a stainless Smith model 60. I prefer the Taurus for feel. The model 60, however, accomodates the .357magnums (and smarts when fired with 158 grain maximum loads). Based on my experience, the Taurus should prove to be a nice gift.

Why are those gun smiths backed up???

I carry a M85CHSS, it had a 50% failure to fire rate out of the box. It took 3 months and three trips to the factory to fix the problem, now I love it and carry it on a daily basis.

Anyone can have a bad piece come through prodcution, but Taurus seems to have more than most. Their problem with quality control carries through to their warranty service, three trips to fix a problem simply isn't an acceptable level of quality in my book. If I had it to do over again, I would buy a Ruger instead. But I am keeping the Taurus, after all I paid the price (time and money).

Now anyone can have a problem, but if you search the forum for Taurus threads you will find that they (seem to) have more than most. I am not saying that Taurus doesn't make good guns, but I think the odds of getting one of the ones without problems are lower than with other brands. They stand behind their work as well, but the question you have to ask yourself is are you willing to wait while they do it. After all, why are those gun smiths backed up so badly, it isn't with guns that work.

Taurus model 85

I own four Taurus revolvers and through my experience and others on this board and others, I would esimate that there would be a 20% chance that your new Taurus revolver will have one problem or another that will have to be addressed by the factory.

Would I buy another Taurus revolver? yes I would. I will add a model 445ch to my collection someday.

The most common problem that I and a few others have had is a too tight cylinder gap. Something that you can examine before you buy................Mike

I LOVE MY TAURUS M85 ULTRA-LITE

Just for fun, I wanted to see if I could be accurate enough with that little 1 7/8" barrel to qualify on the Marine Corps Pistol Course (made for a Beretta 92).

I was shooting a 6" group (with a couple fliers) from the 25-yd line, no bench. In short, Digger with a 38 snub is better than some other Marines with a Beretta 92!! :D

It's as accurate a pistol as you are.

Oh Yeah, mine has been 100% reliable. Every trigger pull equals a shot, no ifs ands or buts.

Best of all.....$299 with a box of ammo!

I'm an 85 fan also

I bought and sold a blued model years ago, but didn't get rid of it because I didn't like it. I sold it to buy a smaller gun, a Colt Mustang Pocket-Lite, which was a better fit for tha application at the time.

But - my model 85 did have to go back to the factory. There were 2 problems when I bought it. The barrel was turned too far when installed, so the sights were way off. Also, it had light strikes from a double action trigger pull. I remember it did take a while to get back, but after it was returned it was flawless. I was very accurate with that little gun, especially in first shot DA mode - better than my S&W 45ACP 4516-1 I had at the same time.

Now, many on the board here will speak of shoddy QC with Taurus.

If I decided never to buy another handgun from a manufacturer due to a product being returned, I would never buy another new Taurus, S&W, or Ruger. (As it is, I won't buy another S&W, & I cringe a little on Ruger - but both due to political reasons).

My 6" 686 had to go back to S&W due to the cylinder loosening up & binding on the forcing cone. In comparison, my 4516-1 has been flawless.

The trigger on my 5" MKII disconnected itself. My 44 Super Blackhawk & Single Six have not hiccuped once.

I spoke of my Taurus 85; my PT940 is 100% reliable and fantastically accurate.

I am sure Taurus is selling *a lot* of revolvers, due to S&W becoming a company that supports anti-gun politics. So..who knows? The QC may be slipping a little. But their design is proven, & I have never heard of anyone shooting one apart. If they are having issues, they aren't any more severe than anywhere else - but, by volume, they may be greater in number than someone selling less guns.

If it were me, I would go look at a Model 85. Handle it, make sure it operates smoothly, check that the barrel isn't canted, etc. Then buy it. Your brother will like it and thank you for it.

One more thing: let the dealer you buy it from know that you feel good not buying a gun from S&W, and that you are supporting a firm that has decided to stand & fight, not tuck & roll.

Back