Taurus M637 Tracker

pathdoc

Taurus M637 Tracker (typo; might be 627)

Being sold new at my LGS. Worth the risk or stay the hell out?

Last edited:
The 637 is the...googlegooglegoogle..357 Tracker.

<shrug>

IMHO&YMMV, it's a viable option.

Check it over real good first. Timing, lockup, sideplate screws, endshake. See Jim March's revolver checkover document pinned to the top of the Revolver subforum.

So you have the Taurus M66 (which is their best revolver) that is a medium frame weight gun equal to the S&W 686 frame.

The 627 is on the Tracker frame which is more light/medium with porting.

Nothing terribly special about pricing on these through time. They are up now of course, but both run $400 in stainless during normal times.

I owned one for a few years, and had zero problems with it. Actually, it was my most accurate handgun, or at least I shot it the best compared to my others. I traded up to a S&W 586 as I wanted a longer barrel - and no porting - for hunting. Still, I just recently looked at another one that I am considering.

And yes, I have heard (or at least read) horror stories about Taurus's service, but I have had several of their handguns - still have one pistol and one revolver - and all have been reliable, so I have not dealt with them for repairs. I would not hesitate to buy another T revolver if the price was reasonable.

Back