Taurus M44 vs. S&W 629

I have a Taurus M44 my dad gave me. I love it, but I've never shot the Smith. I'm sure the trigger on the Smith is better, but my Taurus seems to be good quality and pretty well put together. The real bitch I have about it is trying to find sights--the best answer I've gotten is to buy S&W sights and have them modified. Don't expect much in the way of info--I asked about the Taurus here and it seems not too many forumites know or care about it. Maybe that's a reflection of how big the difference between it and the Smith is, or maybe there just don't happen to be many Taurus shooters here?

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

I've owned Smiths and Taurus's and IMHO the S&W is the far superior gun. The Taurus is a decent gun for what it is but in terms of materials and workmanship (internal) the S&W is better. They're much more durable over the long haul. For casual plinking and hunting a Taurus would do fine, but if my life were depending on it I'd go with the S&W.

I have a Taurus M44 with the 6 1/2" barrel in polished stainless, Taurus 669 357 in stainless and Taurus ultra lite 38. The 44 and 357 are extremely accurate and a pleasure to shoot as they're both ported. I have a 4X scope for the 44 that I sometimes use. I don't have any experience with the S&W's in revolvers, just semi-autos, but I do know S&W is known for their revolvers. The trigger actions on the Taurus's is very good however. I've shot the 357 the most with absolutely no problems at all, probably close to 2000 rds of mostly high power loads. Resale is better on S&W, but for the money Taurus is a real nice gun. Rod Black

Back