Taurus M44 Question

Pvt. Joker

Hey guys,
Been awhile since I been around here, but have a few question. I know a guy selling a Taurus M44 44mag, Stainless 8 3/8 bbl revolver. Is this a good gun? I am looking to deer hunt with it, and possibly bear, in the future. This will be my first handgun. How accurate are they? What kind of distance are we talking for shots, w/ample practice? How about scope mounting? Any other offers of information or suggestions are apprecieated. Thanks! I forgot to add, he is asking 400, LNIB. Thanks

-Jared

I would be most interested in why he's selling it.

Not normally a BAD gun, but I prefer the durability and accuracy of Ruger Redhawks.....

Ditto Wes. Why's he selling?

I hunt with a SuperRedhawk, but have a 4" M44 that I use on the range. Like them both. Also agree with Wes that the Ruger is better quality (as would be a used Smith & Wesson), but the Taurus should be a fine hunting gun.

With regard to hunting with the 44, the gun and cartridge are capable of clean kills out to 100 yards. But shot placement is everything. At the range, I'd tack 6" pie plates on movable target stands and move them back until you find the distance at which you can keep all six shots on the plate from field (not a bench rest) positions. That should be your maximum hunting range.

I shot a couple hundred rounds of 44 special and magnum through a friends 6.5" 44 Taurus this weekend. Decent single action trigger pull, double action must have been 15 pounds if it was an ounce and rather rough. Recoil even with 300gr LTC at a chronographed 1410fps wasn't bad at all, you knew you were touching off something stout but it wasn't abusive.

Accuracy wise it seemed pretty good. We weren't putting rounds on paper but I had no trouble hitting a 12" square plate at 85 yards shooting standing 2 handed. I'm sure from a solid rest it would easily group 6" at 100 yards, likely better if you took the time to develop a load specifically for the gun.

Scope mounting should be a breeze with the vented rib on the barrel.

My friends did have one problem though, the ejector rod would loosen up causing the cylinder to bind when opening. Possibly some locktite or really tightening it up would prevent it from happening, but it's something to watch for. Don't forget it has a reverse thread if you do check it.

Back