Taurus gx4. How is it doing?

wild cat mccane

Hi,

happy P365 owner. But wondering how the gx4 is holding up? Either yours or your readings online?

I noticed pricing has come down a bit. In Taurus land that usually means a rebate or new model is coming. Any word?

thanks!

The toro model with the optic cut is already out, so I imagine the price is just coming down to be attractive to new buyers who need an affordable micro 9mm. Haven't heard anything else about an updated model. I believe the p365 is still the top seller in that category, and it's price acerage reflects that. The g2c and g3c from Taurus have been solid performers from everything I've read. I imagine the gx4 is fine for the price.

The current G Series $25 rebate covers qualifying models purchased (among them is the GX4) between June 1 and July 31, which is about a 2 month period. There's a limited amount of time in August to get the paperwork postmarked and received. The complete rebate details are available through a web search.

I am extremely happy with my P365. It carries well in a High Noon paddle holster and has been 100% reliable. Having said that, I recently purchased a GX4 out of curiosity and in response to all the positive reviews. I was pleasantly surprised with the GX4. Great trigger and also 100% reliable with 350 rounds of 3 different fmj and 4 different jhp rounds. I can't speak to longevity but so far so good.

K. Bought a standard non Toro in black.

Ha! didn't know the rebate was going on! Perfectly nailed it. Thanks for the heads up!

We'll see how it goes...

I have a gx4 and it has been excellent. Changed over to it for edc after I got some 13rd mags as the normal 11rd ones poked me something awful in a mag carrier.
The quality and finish are a step above the g3c, etc. And very competitive with the big names now.
No issues even with kids shooting it.

how is it for mag dropping? I am reading some people have a problem with the mag release activating no matter what they do for holster?

Shipped. So a little late, but would love to here experiences...

Taurus seems to have done pretty well with the G series. If you can find the time, I wouldn't mind seeing a range report on the G4.

It will be until next week to shoot, but picking it up in a bit. P365 stainless finish not there yet. Dang it. Still have the nitron p365 though. Welp, two trips.

I am going to be picky at pick up for; mag drop too easy and finish. I jumped the buy. I didnt realise it wasnt a ss slide. Wouldnt have bought knowing that. I am not too hot on my black previous taurus.

will post up pics.

In response to the previous post, the gx4's finish is far more like what is on my shield than what I have on my other rust happy taurus pistol. I haven't seen a bit of corrosion on it yet.

I've had my gx4 out several times. The trigger wall hits fast and was stiffer than what I am used to. Very first shot I had to back off, take a breath and start again, using more force this time. IMHO that's not a bad thing for a carry piece. Reset is short and tactile. Interestingly enough I shot much tighter groups with this pistol than my shield 1.0 or other pistols I have. I got in trouble at the range for "rapid firing" although I put all the shots into a nice tight group.

I replaced the front sight with an ameriglo from the taurus store (~30usd). I'm not sure if the upgrade was worth it (for me), not without replacing the rear sight as well.

I only had stock 11rd magazines. The floor piece has lots of pointy bits which really bit into me when in a traditional mag carrier. I ordered a couple of 13rd mags which are nice and rounded, problem fixed. Because the TORO version has and 11rd and 13rd instead of 2 11rds I might suggest purchasing it instead just for that, as the TORO version is about the cost of another magazine more.

I see the gx4 approaching the 250usd mark with the TORO version nearing 280usd or so. For the quality of this pistol, the full length slide rails (instead of typical tiny ears), and ease of full disassembly, and the noticeable improvement of build quality, fit and finish over the g3's I'd have to say that this may be the best pistol value on the market.

Bust.

I can push the magazine release to the point of one hair touch away from dropping...stays there...look at it...pop out it goes.

No way is this trigger better than the P365. For one, the reset is very light and even racking the slide, there is no feedback when the striker is cocked.

Never again Taurus.

Not pushed at all:
ZVhWb3bm.jpg

Pushed into to almost exactly release, it's sticking there by itself. You can see it pushed out on the left side of my picture looking down from the mag...stuck by itself:
X4hhWzdm.jpg

Light touch and it goes shooting out.

Last edited:
I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, to hear that a pistol half the price of the 365 doesn't have as nice a trigger.

The super light mag release is worthy of concern.

I dont find the trigger better nor worse. Just different. I have both pistols and to be honest, i prefer the characteristics of the GX4 trigger.

On mine,
Trigger is way heavier as noted above. Heaviest i have felt. Just hard wall.
Reset is almost full forward.
Almost no reset feel.

I can get the mag to release by just putting the gx4 in my pocket and sitting down with no tension in my pant. That means it doesnt even matter on the trigger. Known issue on taurusarmed forum.

it is going away. Total let down.

Last edited:
Given the number of threads you've had where you bought a pistol online, received it and were disappointed with it immediately, it seems like the better course of action for yourself would be to not buy a firearm unless you can handle it locally first. I know that's not always possible, but this is essentially a pattern for you now. I'm not saying you're wrong about the GX4 btw.

Sound advice. Agreed.

i keep almost all i buy though. I do have a lot of fun duplicates. The p365 coming is the 4th i own, not owned. Totally planned to keep the gx4 and work around any issues. Just letting others know my experience with the gx4.

Back