Taurus Gaucho

Has anyone had very much exposure/experience with the Taurus Gauchos? I have recently purchased a pair (not matched) in .45 colt, 5 1/2" brls. one in stainless the other in blue/color case. I did have the experience once or twice that bluejay mentioned earlier with the cylinder pin coming loose, although not with heavy loads. I've also had a timing issue that I did not resolve and had to send one of them back to Taurus to get fixed (hopefully). Other than those two issues, one of which is easily fixed, I've been very pleased with mine. The fit, finish and smoothness out of box is very good. I've taken them apart and polished the parts up some and do a thurough cleaning after each outing. One shoots point of aim and the other about 1"-2" high with 250 gr. RNFP pushed by 6.5 grs. of Unique. I'm looking to try some Trailboss powder next. So far only about 700 rounds through them. Any comments, similar issues or different and fixes would be welcome! Thanks, Corkscrew Tom

I posted a few days ago about mine, my cylinder pin got stuck after 50 rounds, I extracted it and did a little filing and it got stuck again after another 50 so I just sent it back today. That aside, it's a very accurate pistol, shoots 2" left of POA @50 ft with 250gr RNFP but elevation is right where I want it. Fit and finish is very good, trigger is a joy and lockup is nice and tight. Mine is a 5.5" with the case hardened receiver.

The Belt Mountain cylinder pin for Colt SAA and clones will work on the Gaucho if shortened slightly.

Got about 200-300 rounds through mine, no worries so far. I did have to special order one after rejecting the first two I looked at -- one for bad timing and the other for a blem in the bluing.

I have a 5.5 inch stainless .45. I had it at the range again today. I really do enjoy this revolver.

I was shooting Winchester cowboy loads, 250 grain flattened round nose bullets. The revolver still shoots high and left for me at 25 yards, IF I hold it as I'm tempted to do, with my little finger under the grip. If I put as much of my little finger on the grip as will fit and then grip the revolver firmly, it's still a bit left and a bit high, but it's putting bullets into the black using a stock 6-o'clock hold. OK, I can deal with that.

I'm going to be making up some 200 gr. SWC loads at a little higher velocity, probably using about 8 grains of Unique; I'm guessing that would bring things up to about 900 fps or so. Since I mostly do range plinking, I can load 'em pretty much any way I want, without worrying about CAS rules; until I'd chronographed that load I wouldn't know whether it was CAS-legal or not. But it should be a good standard working load, closer to the load for which Taurus designed this revolver. We'll see how that does at the range, once I've gotten off my lazy behind and MADE some.

In any case, one way or another, because the gun is shooting in or because I'm learning how to use it, the high-and-left thing doesn't seem as bad as it was before.

This time I checked the base pin every time I loaded the revolver. And wouldn't you know it, sixty rounds and the base pin didn't work loose at all. Maybe it would have, but my wiggling it to check it put it back where it should have been. Or maybe my putting the base pin in, then pushing the latch to make sure that was engaged firmly, did the job. In either case, I consider the walking base pin problem to be solved for now.

Back