Taurus Gaucho single action clone 45lc??

Vicnchan

Came across a Taurus made single action army clone in 45lc at a local pawn shop. Deep blue looks nice and it has a custom and tuned hammer and trigger set up. This entire gun has had a competent smith tune it up (even the chambers have been chamfered and numbered. Runs like glass but the grip is way oversized and hideous. They want IV for it. They said they would even throw in a box of ammo Inc shells.

Any ideas about these? Does anyone own one and if so, how accurate is it?

That's not a bad price, I have heard they were good guns but have no first-hand experience with them. I think I would give it a try for what they are asking.

Now 45Colt is not cheap and if you don't reload you may want to take that into consideration. Its the caliber that got me into reloading.

I reload for it already. Used to have a 454 casull and used 45lc to plink with. I might give it a try and let yall know

The box of ammo is worth $40, so I guess 360 is a decent buy for any 45 Colt that is mechanically sound. Back when Taurus was making them I thought they had some kind of sprayed on gloss black finish, that wore badly. Maybe the gunsmith did the blue job too. I think Taurus only made one run of them and they were poorly received by CAS shooters, so they dropped them. I remember brand new ones selling for $250 about a year after they came out.

Enjoy !!!

Any ideas about these? Does anyone own one and if so, how accurate is it?
Good performers and accuracy is good for how it's built. The only problem I ever heard of is "light-strikes" It belonged to a buddy of mine and he removed the transfer bar, even though I was a bit critical of this. I think you did well and others might push-back on who made it. .... :rolleyes:

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

I will try to get to the range this weekend and see how she runs. I am looking for grips already. These franken-grips are wild. I pick it up tomorrow and will get yall some pics.

Curiosity question. Since there isn't anything to headspace it off of, you couldn't just shoot 45acp without moonclips in a 45LC single action could you?

I might need to get a second cylinder reamed for 45acp for target shooting. I've got 40+ years of collecting 45acp ammo

Curiosity question. Since there isn't anything to headspace it off of, you couldn't just shoot 45acp without moonclips in a 45LC single action could you?

You cannot shoot .45 acp in a .45 Colt chamber without some kind of clip. The .45ACP is .473" at the case HEAD, the .45 Colt is .480" at the case MOUTH. The acp round will simpy fall too deep into the chamber for the firing pin to reach.

Unlike an Ian Fleming novel, the difference of .007 in this case simply won't "Bond".....:D

Additionally, you can't shoot .45acp in an SA revolver WITH CLIPS, either. There is simply no room for that in the mechanism, and even if you had the cylinder cut to make the room needed, it still won't work unless you pull the base pin and remove the cylinder to load and unload, then reinstall it for firing. With the rounds clipped together they cannot be loaded or ejected through the frame loading gate.

In a swing out cylinder gun (such as a DA revolver) clips can work, in an SA revolver, they will not.

Ruger convertibles have a second cylinder. One cylinder for .45 Colt and a different one for .45ACP. That's the only way it works in an SA revolver.

I checked four sellers with no Gaucho cylinders available.
Dies and a sack of .45 LC brass would be much less expensive than a cylinder, even if you could find one.

$40 a box for factory 45 Colt is a deal, unless you are talking one of those 20 or 25 round boxes of designer boutique specialty ammo. I don’t think I have ever bought a box of 45s.
Had some young guys that were playing cowboys with Vaqueros and didn’t load. They save all their empties for me. The cheapest around at the time was Winchester Cowboy lead bullet loads. That’s what most of mine is. Unfortunately both guys ended up getting married. Putting the stoppers on my brass.

I have plenty of molds and about 140 pounds of lead. I should be able to hand load em for a bit. The ammo was a 50rd box of Ammo Inc fmj target loads. I have never had any luck with accuracy from ammo Inc, but if nothing else, I can go pow and have brass to reload.

BTW, this lil SA shoots like a dang dream! Trigger pull was averaging 3 1/2 pounds and was very crisp. She shot about 2" high at 15 yards but that may be the light ammo. I am VERY happy with this purchase!!

She shot about 2" high at 15 yards but that may be the light ammo.

In the US the regular fixed sights are zeroed for a 250gr @ 850-950fps (depending on barrel length) at 25 yards.

if my math is right, 140lbs of lead is enough for a bit over 1100 250gr bullets.

Have fun!!

I’m lucky to live in an area that lead and tin were easy to get. Were is key word, all the Mills have been closed for a good 30yrs. When they started to tear them down about 20yrs ago was the time to grab all you could. I’ve got a lead ingot in my garage that goes about 200lb.
I’ve got well over 1000lbs in RCBS & Lyman ingots. Got several ton that needs melted into ingots. I do that in winter over wood fire, cheap way out.
The tin usually don’t bother to put into ingots. It’s in 2”x 4” bar with a 1” holes that it advances into the tin plate bath. I got the stubs when they change for new bar. Go to yard sales along river. Lots of tin and lead was brought home for making sinkers. Many a kid was running pure tin sinkers and was proud they are shiny.

According to the Taurus customer service lady, they were made from 2005-2007. Mine was made Sept 17 2005. Runs a lot smoother than my pietta and the finish is a deep blue.over all, I talked em down to $3seventy5 with a box of bullets so I'm happy. I've got some 45 round ball. Think I will make some gallery loads and go have some fun.

Congrats on the new addition, that's a good price with a box of bullets. So the question now is how does it shoot?

Back