Taurus G2c vs G3c

johnhoward

I know there are lots of feelings and opinions about brands and models on here, but here's the thing, I am poor and I like what I like. That having been said. here is where I am at.

I am not one of the new flavors of the month club members that buy a dozen models of guns every year just to try them out. I find one thing that I like and stick with that. I have not been a pistol guy all my life, but when Texas first approved their CHL license, I was a traveling salesman and spent many nights sleeping in my car, so I got my CHL license just so I could keep a gun next to me in my car legally. At the time (1996) I had little money and wanted to buy a Glock 9mm but could not afford one and bought a Colt 9mm (can't remember the model). I hated that gun, and sold it almost right away. I was in a shop looking and saw this Bersa Thunder 9. I fell in love with it the instant I picked it up and loved it even more once I took it to the firing range. I still have that gun today and still love it. What a beautiful shooting gun.

After Obama left office and the bottom fell out on the gun market and they got really cheap, I started buying a few guns. I bought a S&W Sigma 40. Hated it and sold it. I bought an M&P Shield 9mm. OMG! I hated that gun. I GAVE it away because I felt it was too bad to sell. I tested out many different guns my friends owned and really did not like any of them. Then I saw the Taurus G2C 9mm on sale for $200, and bought one. Just like with my Bersa Thunder 9, it was love as soon as I held it. The only thing I don't love about it is the trigger pull.

The next month after I bought my G2C, Taurus released the G3C. It has been up there in price, but I got an email offer today for one for $269. I would like to hear some shooter's first-hand experience with the GC3, with a focus on the trigger pull.

So, how do you like the GC3s you have shot compare to the G2C? Should I buy one at $269, or will they come down even further in price? What are your thoughts?

I have not shot the G3c however I have shot your G2c. I liked that pistol a lot and am not sure its worth it to buy the G3c when you still have the G2c. With that being said right before COVID the G2c was 199.99 at a bunch of places around here. Not sure if they will ever be that cheap again but just thought I would mention it. Good luck

Thanks ccSnoopycc. I am happy with the G2C as it is. I am training my wife to use it now that Texas has limited unlicensed carry (they call it Constitutional Carry, but it is not really that). She has a lot more trouble with the trigger on the G2C than me and loves my Bersa Thunder 9, but of course, it is too big to be carried in her purse. I was thinking if the G3C had an improved trigger, I would get one for her.

I applaud your interest in being a responsible gun owner.

I personally would sell it locally to a person with a TX concealed carry permit and pick up a G3c. The trigger is positively updated from the G2 to the G3.

Be patient and list it for what you'll pay for a new G3c. You'll likely get it sold, you know it's going to someone who in theory would pass the same requirements as a new gun purchaser, and you end up with an updated (positive) gun that you currently like.

I personally would sell it locally to a person with a TX concealed carry permit and pick up a G3c. The trigger is positively updated from the G2 to the G3.

This is exactly what I did. I sold an unfired G2c to a female friend who lives alone and wanted to learn how to shoot to protect herself. I then found a G3c for a great price and replaced the G2c. By the way, I too like the G3c trigger a lot better.

Interesting, I have shot the G2C but not the G3. I do not own one, but Taurus seems to have done a really nice job on these guns.
Personally, from what I have seen I would not buy up at this point. I do not see that much difference from the two guns as show in the video below.
One reason is the cost of ammo now. Just shooting enough to break in a gun can cost more than the gun. Will you have to get a new holster as the video points out? Other cost should be considered as well, like range cost etc. The triggers appeared to be very similar, unless you are getting the Pinch.
If this were normal times, I would buy up, simply because I enjoy shooting often. But most of my guns are IMO basically boat anchors now. Still get a few range session to keep up my skills, but lol, not shooting the 1,000 rds per month I did in the past. Personally I am not interested in purchasing any new gun. I have seen many I like, might trade one gun I have for one I just saw, but will not be buying anything. I would put that money into AMMO instead.
Just my 2cents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqUUPf8UBkQ&ab_channel=TheFireArmGuy

@Carl the Floor Walker. I agree, which is why my hesitation. But 9mm ammo has been coming down. I just picked up 500 rounds for $150, so I have some, let's just say, "Extra Ammo" to play with at the moment.

The gun is really for my wife, who is not a shooter and I am wanting her to learn. I have no trouble with the trigger on the G2C, but I am a lifelong shooter and can immediately adjust to anything gun.

Better finish and metal sights.

It's kinda a wash. But I would sell and get the G3.

But I would also know that this is the billionth update the the PT111 series and a new gun already is out there with "G4" in it :)

Back