Taurus G2C Compact, anyone have one?

kymasabe

I'm thinking about buying a truck gun, have a few models in mind, was thinking Beretta APX, or APX Carry, S&W SD9 is another possibility as I already own one ( with Apex improvements), but recently saw a PSA ad for the G2c for $219. So, am wondering what kinda quality and reliability do you get for $219?

You get a dang good, reliable, accurate hand gun for the money. I have and carry one everyday and have for 3 years now. It has never given me any trouble. I shoot it every other week for practice. That was the good, there's always a bad, right?. The finish is not great so my Kydex paddle holster has worn it pretty good. But I like the worn look. The factory trigger breaks pretty far to the rear, but it has a nice short reset. I swapped my factory trigger out for a Keep Tinkering trigger, it is a nice upgrade. They are 100% worth every penny. Taurus may have had a bad record in the past, but they knocked this one out of the park.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

The only issue I've seen brought up about the g2c series is the magazine catch possibly wearing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBrkHIdE1es
I don't know if the g3c has the same issue.

I think I'm going to try to repurpose a guitar pick for my pt111 g2. Hopefully it's easier to work with.

I put a keep tinkering trigger in my pt111 g2 and it made a world of difference in the length of pull.

While it's a great pistol it doesn't have the same quality feel of something like a s&w shield or taurus gx4.

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago at the range, the guy next to me had 2. The 1st one was sent back for some work and while he was waiting, he bought his second. That day, both were working and he was happy with both of them. He was only shooting them at 7 yards, but was keeping them on his target. He also had a couple revolvers too (.357 and .38 Special) that he said he's had for over 40 years, punching holes out to 25 yards, so I wouldn't consider him to be a firearms goof.

I'm thinking about buying a truck gun, have a few models in mind, was thinking Beretta APX, or APX Carry, S&W SD9 is another possibility as I already own one ( with Apex improvements), but recently saw a PSA ad for the G2c for $219. So, am wondering what kinda quality and reliability do you get for $219?

I'm really dubious as to the concept of a "truck gun".

That aside, I think they fit the "cheap enough to not miss if something were to happen to it" category. It's like a Glock 26, made as inexpensively as possible.

I have over 1K rounds through mine. Minimal issues, that I can reasonably attribute to shooting mostly my own handloads.

The rear sight is not a good design, and the dovetail is unique. Get the G3C instead, if possible.

My own experience with Taurus has been good. My internet experience with Taurus, not so much.
I currently have but 1, my 94 revolver, I love that little 9 shooter. I do shoot it single action about 99% of the time. A S+W J frame .22 has the same issue, it's geometry, not quality.
Taurus gets bashed too much IMHO. While I only have 1 now, would not hesitate if a Taurus appealed to me.

Taurus can build a very nice pistol. Their problem is parts and service. This comes from too many models with very few parts that are interchangeable between those models, even magazines.

Now Ive got three Tauri and for the most part they've been good guns. I don't shoot them much though because if they break it could be a long wait until I can use it again.

Funny how Hi-Point, building the cheapest guns you can buy, is the poster company for parts and service. Taurus could learn something from them.

Taurus rail

I have little experience with Taurus pistols, but what I am wondering about is that they make the light mounting rail with a taper or angle on the front that starts behind the cross slot. I tried mounting a laser on one for a relative and it wouldn't clamp on securely because the unsupported front part of the clamp would tip in toward the center of the frame and the rear part would tip out away from the rail. I built up the rail with J B Weld with a little carbon black added, shaped it to match the v shape on the existing rail with a small file and it now clamps on securely. (It only had 1 cross slot because of the short barrel) I have no idea if the J B Weld will stay bonded in use or not. I guess we'll just have to try it out and see what happens.

So. I read about the g2c today. Agreed, is better than g2c. Looking into that instead.
Damn text to speech and/or auto correct:
I meant, I read about the G3c and it appears to be better than the G2c.
G4 is further improvement, but a little too funky looking for me.

As long as we are talking about the Taurus T2/T3's, I'm going to add the bit more expensive TH9c. This puppy adds a hammer, actual Novak dovetail front and rear sights and a tiny leaf like, loaded chamber indicator that sits above the extractor. Sadly, it lacks the wonderful trigger safety found on the Taurus "G" models.

The only problem I have found is lack of spare magazine availability. However the G3c magazines fit perfectly. Not sure if it's necessary but I reshaped the yellow plastic follower to match the TH9c's Italian made Mec-Gar magazines.

Last edited:
Back