Taurus for competition?

vega

Has anybody used Taurus revo for serious competition? How did the gun stand up? I'd like to hear your coments please.

The reason I'm asking, I have a 4" brl ss 7 rounder that I'd like to use for competition. A buddy said that it wont last as compared to S&W and ruger.

vega

if you are good with it thats all that matters.what dose he mean it wont last?like your gonna ware it out?come on i doubt any modern day handgun can really be worn out in a lifetime>

Don't ever dare to join the racing track without a Maserati, Ferrari or something under $250,000.00! The evil racing ghost will bite you in the ***.

Serious: I've seen a lot of people shooting better scores with a "cheap" gun that's 1/2 to 1/3 of the price the "experts" pay for their jewels. But, it is so much easier to talk about a Kimber, Colt, Dan Wesson as about the "sloppy" Taurus' or Rugers.

To have fun is not dependent on having Bo Derek or a Colt Gold Cup at home!

Gun will work fine! It's not the guns that wins, but the competitor. If you are looking to give that gun a little better edge though, go to Jack Weigand's web site. He has custom barrels that were selling for about one hundred and change for only $20 on closeout. He use to be Taurus's custom shop too.

Robert

Use the Taurus! If anyone there comments, it's because they need to justify (in their own mind) spending double on a Colt or S&W.

Holy crap! It seems as though most of my posts are on threads that dog Taurus quality in the capacity of defending them because I am totally satisfied with my M44. But now what am I to do? A thread where most of the sentiment suggests that Taurus are not total peices of crap. Has hell frozen over? Did I see the pigs flying? Was that a monkey that just exited my posterior? I don't know what kind of parallel universe that I have found myself in, but I'm just gonna consider this a good day and be thankful for the miracle... ;)

I dont wish to bad mouth Taurus Revos, but I will give an account of my and others experiences. We bought a bunch of the 7 shot revos and then the 8shot revos back in the 90s for pin shooting. Granted, we were shooting 230gr pinbuster bullets at 950fps, but the 6 and 7shot smiths we were running(and still are) were working fine. Two of my 7shots went out of time around a thousand rounds, and several 8shots went out in the same time.
One buddy from KS twice had the 8shot go out of time at SecondChance, costing him money on the line. Granted this happens to all match guns, but it consistently has happened to Taurus revos. I know a fine shooter from CO that runs a Taurus 8shot with plate loads and has tens of thousands of rounds through his. He is on his second replacement hammer pivot pin. I know that Taurus has great customer service and warrantees, but they do not hold up to extensive shooting that match guns do.
I have a SW 8shot that probably only has 3K through it, and I broke a firing pin (^*(&()&(&^(& frame mounted firing pins!) I dont know how much dry firing I do, but it was too much I guess. Got another custom bbl. 8shot Smith that I have over 5K rounds through, no problems except cleaning the bugger. I just shot over 500 rounds yesterday for practice and am going out after I get off the puter.
What I am trying to say is, Most of the serious guys that shoot revos in formalized competition use Smiths and they hold up really good. What I have seen in the past makes me leary of the Taurus for holding up to thousands of rounds. this is MHO!
I use Smiths, to each their own. I will not go into their politics, whatever needs to be said has been said already. Use what you want and enjoy it:D Have a good one, DC

Back