Taurus 856UL...6rd 38+P vs 5rd 357

TxFlyFish

I think Taurus is going in the right direction with the transition of 85 to 856. 6 rounds of 38 +P at 16oz in j frame size there isn’t quite anything in the market. This weight and size is usually occupied by 5rd steel cylinder 357 j frames and LCR. They removed the lock on the back of the hammer as well and reinstated the lifetime warranty. Decent DA trigger too from some of yt reviews. Top it of it’s cheap. Would you take 6rd of 38+P over 5rd 357 (or 6rd 327?)

I think Taurus is going in the right direction with the transition of 85 to 856. 6 rounds of 38 +P at 16oz in j frame size there isn’t quite anything in the market. This weight and size is usually occupied by 5rd steel cylinder 357 j frames and LCR. They removed the lock on the back of the hammer as well and reinstated the lifetime warranty. Decent DA trigger too from some of yt reviews. Top it of it’s cheap. Would you take 6rd of 38+P over 5rd 357 (or 6rd 327?)

The 856 replaces (I guess) the .38 Model 85. Their 5 shot .357, the Model 605, is still in the lineup.

I have a 605. I've only shot 2 or 3 cylinders worth of .357 through it, in the decade I've had it. It's "disconcerting". After shooting .357 I'll always want to look down and make sure the gun is still together. I think .38 makes better sense in this size.

The 856UL has caught my attention. I have held off buying one until I get a chance to check out the DA trigger on one in person. I own several 1980-1990's vintage Taurus' (model 74 .32, model 82 .38 and a model 431 .44 special) and their triggers are very good after a Wolff spring swap.

Other than the concern of Taurus reliability which varies model by model, I think Taurus hit a home run as far what people are looking in a compact revolver, I’m still unsure how they stuffed 6 rounds in a similar sized frame. The cylinder is definitely larger

its too bad Taurus has such lousy customer service/warranty problems. they have some great ideas and are fairly innovative, however when the occasional lemon made on Monday or Friday gets out the door they are miserably slow at fixing the issue without a fair amount of money and an enormous amount of patience from the consumer.

The 856 is 38+P only and priced as such. As for 38 in a 357 sometimes that’s only choice when they make the lightest guns with titanium

Back