Taurus 856 2" DAO

Mikef262

Hey guys, I just wanted to post a short review about the Taurus 856 revolver.

First, let me say I have long refused to buy any Taurus product, merely based on Internet reviews. I had a S&W 642 that I used as an ankle/back up at work, which I sold and now regret.

I sought out another at a local shop and wasn't able to find one, but went ahead and got the Taurus 856 DAO instead. First, the trigger was actually not nearly as bad as I anticipated. Second, the factory grips fit surprisingly well in my medium sized hands. Third, the Taurus holds six rounds, where the Smith only held five. Sights aren't great to be honest, but neither were the ones on the Smith. I do like that I can replace the front sight on this Taurus by knocking a roll in out. I ordered an Ameriglo sight from Taurus and am looking forward to that. I also ordered a spring kit and VZ grips.

I went and fired 100 rounds through it today, the only issued I had was getting the cylinder to pop out. Moving the latch forward was an issue at times and I would have to dry fire it to get the latch to work. I am curious if I may have cranked the screw down too tight on it and that was the issue. My eye sight isn't the best, but even with glasses picking up the front sight was hard at times. I anticipate the Ameriglo sight will fix that issue.

I also gave the Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish a whirl and got a nice shine to it, rather than the matte satin finish it came with.

Overall I am actually very happy with this gun and can't wait to go shoot it more. Normally with other snub nosed revolvers they weren't that enjoyable, but this one was fun to shoot. I am hoping to run at least another 300-400 rounds through it before next qualification day in late June.

Last edited:
I just got done with a detail strip of the Taurus. Turns out the sticky release lever wasn't from tightening the screw down too tight. A good bunch of the aluminum polish had seeped through and caked up inside. A good cleaning fixed it!

Say what I will on having to return 5 different M66s across time (Taurus flag ship revolver) their revolver triggers are near S&W for feel.

Agreed using mothers. I've shined many 66s and a GP100. Looks as good as any current factory SS factory I've seen. Post up pics

Just got back from the range, fired another 100 rounds. This time a 50 fmj and 50 wadcutters I got from a guy. With the new grips, Ameriglo sight and trigger springs installed, it is turning out to be a very nice shooting gun.

At 15 yards all the rounds fired stayed within the 7 inch diamater circle. I started at 7 yards, then 10, then 15. Out of them all, only one missed the circle target, low. This was while working on double taps at the 10 and I threw one.

So far 200 rounds and no issue. I also would like to note, I was never a fan of shooting snubs for fun. But this one is a blast!

I’ve found a significant difference in shooting light weight snubby revolvers and all steel snubbies. The steel ones I also find enjoyable and a decent challenge that helps me improve my shooting fundamentals. Snubby revolvers will show any flaw you have in sight alignment trigger control and follow through.

Back