Taurus 850 CIA questions.

MeekAndMild

OK, turn to the inside back page of the December issue of "American Rifleman". You will see an ad for the Taurus "Carry it Anywhere" pistol. Has anyone here shot one of these and does it live up to the hype?

Consider to get one I would have to sell a *&* 686 which is durable, rock solid and dependable but really heavy and also sell a P-32 which is light and easily concealable, would one of these titanium Tauruses be able to adequately take the place of both the others?

M650SS2.jpg

I don't believe that particular model is available in titanium, just stainless or blued-steel. PLEASE do not sell the Smith to get one!:eek: Now, the Kel-Tec...that's another matter entirely.:D

Don't sell the 686. If it's anything like the ones I've used, you can't aske for more from a revolver than what S&W sold you in that model ;) Especially to help purhcase a Taurus :rolleyes:

I have yet to see this particular model locally BUT if the fit and finish of recent Taurus revolvers is any indication, this should do well.

I have a Taurus 650 which is the same thing in 357 mag. This is available in steel only, but the 850 is available in Ti. These are excellent carry pieces. The crappiest Taurus trigger beats the best trigger I have seen on a new S&W. I chose the Taurus over a S&W 640 because I think the quality is equal and the stock trigger was great. Price and politics did not enter the decision process (much)

The fit and finish is fine and the one I have is a shooter. I won't go out on a limb and tell you to sell your Smith & Wesson to buy the Taurus. Can't you sell your car or something? :)

I just purchased a new Taurus 731UL...

..and Oleg is right. The fit and finish are great. While I was at the gun shop, I looked at that "CIA" model. It IS beautiful. (Either black or silver.) However it weighs 22 ounces. (Maybe 23.) My wife's Total Ti in .38+P weighs about 14 ounces. That's a pretty big difference in weight. I'm not sure if the Titaniums come with the enclosed hammer though. You'll have to go to the Taurus website to find that out. (The 731UL is so new, it's not on the website yet.)
I'd really hate to sell my P-32. It's the only pistol I've ever strapped to my leg and been able to forget it's there!

KR

Of course, I highly recomend these 38 snubbies from Taurus as well. If you want the Titanium model, you will have to settle for 38 special. The 357 is only available in blue or stainless steel.

Can't you sell your car or something?
Don't sell the 686.
I'd really hate to sell my P-32.

Thanks guys.

It bears looking at closer but not to jump into. Maybe rethink the idea of selling something else or maybe just waiting until tax refund season next year. This is sort of like wondering if you can trade your pickup truck and motorcycle in for a T-Bird. It is desirable, but not necessarily right for the purpose. My brother in law really likes Taurus, not just for the finish but the engineering of it.

I've just let the 686 sit in the safe for nigh onto 2 years, ever since it was replaced by younger, lighter and slimmer ones, but it has been a fine pistol, ignoring its weight. I can carry it in an underarm harness in cold weather but not in summer. Then again the P32 is always right there at hand, light and easy to carry but lacks the punch of a 38.

I don't believe that particular model is available in titanium

There is that factor. I wouldn't want to swap SS pistols for sure, considering all the shooting I had to do to get that S&W trigger to be smooth. I suppose in the end it all comes down to wondering if there will ever be a single perfect CCW. :)

Back