Taurus 85 vs Ruger SP101

Tim Croley

I currently own a 3" Taurus, but would like to go with something different. I've been looking at the Ruger SP101.

I know that the Ruger would probably be a stronger, better built gun than the 85, but is it really worth the extra money?

For practical reasons, would I be just as well with the 85?

This is my primary concealed carry gun.

Also, what are your thoughts on the Taurus .44sp compared to the 85?

The Taurus is a good gun, the Ruger IMO is a little better gun.
It is more heavily built and weighs slightly more than your Taurus.
I think for a well built 5 shot snubbie, where weight isnt a concern the sp101 is hard to beat. Its not as concealable as some of the Ultra mini's but is close.
The Taurus 605 & 650 CIA, S&W J frames inc. the Sc series and others are good guns too.......

Shoot well

FWIW, Ruger company officals state that their firearms are
proof tested with loads that run 30% above normal factory
ammunition. If this is indeed the case, I would have to
recommend the Ruger.:) :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I've owned both (though the Taurus was the first gun I owned, back in '86). The Ruger is profoundly stronger. It's also a lot heavier, which could play into your CCW decision.

Last year when I was in the market for a snub of this type, I looked at the Tauri, but then laid down the extra $ for the Ruger. YMMV.

The Ruger is worth the extra expense. Even the SP 101 (small frame) can take a beating with full power magnums, and it comes asking for more. Its very hard to shoot a Ruger to death. The Taurus, while improved over the older Taurus, is still lacking when compared to S&W and Ruger.

I too have owned both guns. As it has been stated, Ruger is definitely the stonger, more sturdy gun. But it is heavy. I currently have a taurus 85. I keep it tucked between my seats in my truck. It cost less. And if someone breaks into my truck and steals it, I would rather lose it than one of my more costly guns. I can slip it into my front pocket if I need it. The ruger would be more noticable. I loved the sp101. But am perfectly content with the Taurus. For practical reasons I say stick with the Taurus.

Just picked up an SP, it's for now my favorite gun. I looked at the Taurus and had to make the same decision.
As far as "tested with loads that run 30% over factory" the fired cartridge that came with mine was a .38spcl. Not saying it wasn't a hot-loaded .38; apparently was a reload, the brass was Starline, but it sure wasn't tested with magnum loads.

If you get a chance compare the 85 right next to a SP-101. To me there is a big difference in how they are built. The SP101 is a much better firearm. The 85 probably has a better trigger pull out of the box bu the trigger pull can be improved on the Ruger. I like the 85 but I like the SP-101 a whole lot better.

I have owned the Taurus 85 and 445. They were both good handguns IMO.
However, the SP101 in .357 mag is a step above.
I have the 3" for my daily CCW.

I won't repeat what has already been said about the fine SP101, but I will add this--- For me, the extra weight does not make it any less comfortable to carry than the 85, and it is much more comfortable than the Taurus 445. The 445 is both bulky AND heavy.

"...worth the extra money?" I think so.

TH

Last edited:
Back