Taurus 731/.32 H&R Magnum Snub

Got one in the house. Actually, got two; mine was so neat-o that my roomie bought one just like it. Times perfectly, locks up like a Mosler, and has the nicest out-of-the-box DA pull on a J-frame sized snubbie I've felt in a long time. Shoots well, although zippier than you might think, and it has that all-important sixth shot. ;)

I have the 731UL, it's my current ankle gun. Six shots of zippy .32 H&R Magnum in a J-frame sized package which weighs anywhere between spit and zip. The finish is nice, it times and locks up extremely well, and it just has a high "neato" factor. Added bonus: it fits into J-frame holsters without modifications or problems.

taurus731ul.jpg

Marko...

Thanks for the picture, Bud!
That is exactly what I had in mind. I'll go out to my favorite gun shop tomorrow and see if they have one in stock. If not, I'll order one. I had to order my wife's .38 Special +P Total Titanium and it took less than a week. You say it weighs about 16 ounces? That'll be perfect for an "ankle snubbie".

KR

Tamara & Lendringser

Well, I talked to my regular gun shop and got a really good price on a 731UL. It should be in by monday. If you both don't have anything "iffy" to say about the light little Taurus snubbie, it's going to be mine by monday afternoon. Last chance to talk me out of it! :)

Kentucky Rifle

Are both models ported? I've been considering this caliber due to the controllability. Ti Smiths don't impress me, and besides, they're tough to find used.:)

I have the S&W equivalent - the 331. I bought it for my wife over a year ago and she has yet to shoot it. I am still not sure whether I like it or not. If she decides not to carry it, I may sell it.

rock_jock...

If you don't mind...Why don't you like the little .32 mag? Also, it's obvious that your wife doesn't like the pistol. For what reason? Is it because she just doesn't like shooting? Carrying?

Thanks,
Kentucky Rifle

She was pregnant and now with the baby there is not much opportunity for her to shoot (she doesn't like it much anyway). I am not real hot on the .32 Mag just because, #1 - I am not as accurate with snubbies (note I do not say all revos, just snubbies) as I am with semi-autos, and #2 - I am really beginning to rethink the idea of carrying any small caliber guns, meaning anything less potent than a .38+P. So, if and when my spousal unit gets her CCW, the 331 will probably be adequate, but I wouldn't carry it for myself. I guess I should mention that while it is a S&W and is therefore good quality, it does not measure up to their other guns. The Ti line just doesn't impress me that much.

Does Taurus make the ultra-light in 32 mag? if so i want one! The web site does list it, or i missed it. How much does it cost. I like the idea of the 32 mag. :D

Well, mine is a 731UL (Ultra Light); alloy frame, steel cylinder & barrel.

.32 Mag is not potent enough, unlike the mighty .38 Special? ;) It has more muzzle energy than any non-plus P .38 Special load and more than some +P's. Plus, there's one more of them in the cylinder. Also, plain ol' .32 *&* Long is a fun and mild plinkin' load. :)

Mine will be in the first of the week!

I'm a little light on revolvers in my little collection. This one will fit the bill just fine! Light enough to carry anywhere. I must admit, I struggled a little with the idea of getting the 731UL or sending my Mustang Pocketlite off for a SM&A "Pocket carry Package", but I'll wait on that for a couple weeks. :)
I think I like the Ron Graham "Roswell" or the Don Hume "DAH". With the DAH I can carry middle of the back or strong side.

KR

Tamara,

I went back and looked through the ballistic charts online for the .32 Mag loading. You are correct, the .32 Mag beats the non plus-P .38 Sp., which goes goes to show how pathetic the .38 Sp. is. The +P Hydra-Shoks I carry in my S&W 638 top the .32 Mag in muzzle energy by 30 ft-lbs. Not much trumpet about. I guess I will have to give my 331 its due, and carry it for awhile as penance.

I will say, however, as far as shooting .32 Longs in the 331, BIG MISTAKE! The first and only time I did this, the ylinder was so gummed up I could barely extract the casings, and it was a bear to clean, leaving permanent marks on the Ti cylinder.

Rock_Jock...

That's the third time I've heard that story about shooting the shorter .32 long cartridges out of a .32 mag cylinder. That is enough for me. I intend to always carry and shoot the magnums. I've gotten away from shooting lead bullets, but .32 mag lead wad cutters were all my gun shop had in stock. The Federal JHP's are supposed to be in next week also. I'm going to stock up. I'm even going to order some .32 mag MagSafe cartridges. Other than the Federal, does anyone know of another brand of jacketed hollow point?

Thanks,
KR

FWIW, Georgia Arms loads a 100-gr. JHP in BOTH the .32 S&W Long AND the .32 H&R Mag...know they've got a website, don't recall it offhand....mikey357

Man! Could be another week.

I just called my regular gun shop and they told me that it could be another week before my 731UL gets here. I got a good price, however when I'm waiting for a new pistol to come in, time seems to drag on and on and on... Ah, well...what are you going to do??

KR

Back